Has anybody built their own float switch holders?

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
I'm just curious. I'm going to run at least 2 float switches. One that will be low water level to kick in my ATO and one that will be high water level that will shut everything off. I'm toying with a 3rd in the sump that will just be a high level for the ATO to make sure it doesn't fill more than it should. At one time, I've seen a 3 switch holder but can't seem to find it again.

I built one for my ATO Reservoir tank. I'll snap a picture of it on my phone and upload it.

This one lets me know when my 20g ato is getting empty, it gives me about 5 gallons notice.

This is the top of the brute container, this is where the wires for the switch come into and stay dry at :)
da46cb99b01469f92349ee226da1b207.jpg
alt="" />

Here is the switch attached to a flat side end cap.
1008181e6e688dd9fd74b0d679a686a1.jpg
alt="" />

And lastly the underside of the lid, basically it just screws together at the top.
b227d4a3354da83cb14e140b44ac5f82.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know its not a full on switch holder for a sump but might shed some ideas.

just as the title says...lol
cpvc to keep it as small as possible, not glued so I can take it apart and you can configure as many floats as you need.
you can also cut some acrylic and puzzle it together to you needs (I know a guy down the street from you that can cut acrylic):yes:

showthread.php

porpoiseaquatics;1063184 wrote: Yeah...like that one...all except those metal bolts!

They changed to nylon screws with nylon wing nuts. :).

Took all of a couple hours with scrap materials. Except the nylon screws and nuts which were about $.58 at HD.

Nice job Rich. I was thinking about making one similar to yours. Except, two high level switches and 1 low, just in case one of the high level fails.

Long plastic strips... Heat them up and bent three ways to hang over sump and then one out for float mount. Drilled holes in them to screw the float switch in. Probably cost less than a dollar but I can't remember. Wish I had a pic...

tonymission;1063224 wrote: Long plastic strips... Heat them up and bent three ways to hang over sump and then one out for float mount. Drilled holes in them to screw the float switch in. Probably cost less than a dollar but I can't remember. Wish I had a pic...

Yeah...so do I!

Like this one, but mine was the copy hehehe, since the seller went on holidays vacation I decided to try and do my own, I've got all the hardware at Ace.

Jeff, depending on which way you go, I may have enough scrap acrylic to make one. If so, you could have it. I feel like I have a fairly long strip of acrylic that is a couple inches wide. It had been a while since I saw it though.

JBDreefs;1063265 wrote: Jeff, depending on which way you go, I may have enough scrap acrylic to make one. If so, you could have it. I feel like I have a fairly long strip of acrylic that is a couple inches wide. It had been a while since I saw it though.

Thanks John. I haven't decided yet. I've got one that is similar to what Rich built. I'm thinking of making one with magnet holders. And before anybody poo-poos that idea because they think the magnet holder might interfere with the float.....I would make it like the long strip version except instead of hanging, make it with magnets up higher so that it could be quick and easily adjusted.

porpoiseaquatics;1063279 wrote: Thanks John. I haven't decided yet. I've got one that is similar to what Rich built. I'm thinking of making one with magnet holders. And before anybody poo-poos that idea because they think the magnet holder might interfere with the float.....I would make it like the long strip version except instead of hanging, make it with magnets up higher so that it could be quick and easily adjusted.

That's what I did. Just used a cheap scrubber magnet from walmart and glued it to the acrylic strip.

I just looked on Walmart.com and I don't see the exact version, but they have several. Just search aquarium scubber magnet. Mine would be a crappy scrubber compared to a real mag float, but it is fine for the holding up the float switch.

Back