Has anyone ever kept jellyfish?

Rickdareefa

Supporting
Reaction score
This intrigues me an could possibly mean a future build for me. Anybody on arc have any experience in keeping jellyfish?

Not that I know of. Seems like you sink a lot of time and money into a single species tank. But very cool.

I don't know of anyone. Wouldn't surprise me if someone has though.
I'd think the big things would be the temp the species would require and finding a safe way to keep a gyre flow.

I remember seeing a show on animal planet or natgeo. It may have even been the short series that was out about the GA Aquarium. They had a large jellyfish aquarium that had a slow gyre flow. Was really interesting.

Watch "Carefully Moving Adult Jellyfish Into Their New Tank | The Aquarium" on YouTube

Watch "Do you really want a pet Jellyfish?" on YouTube

Last edited:
I like his conclusion to go with plastic bags instead of jellyfish LMFAO
The plastic bags live longer

I've looked into Jelly tanks. Most readily available jellies only live about a year, if that. It's similar to have an octopus. The lifespans don't make it worth the work of a species only tank. To me, anyway. It really sucks they don't live as long as our finned friends do.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

They don't live long enough to make good pets from what I have seen. I've only seen 2 tanks with them and one is at the aquarium lol.

The hard part about jellies is they naturally need unlimited open space to float around in. It is hard to simulate that, so they require special rounded tanks with no corners for them to get caught on.

Back