Having Issues..

kr561

Market
Reaction score
Im having some issues with my tank that i bought yesterday,i put in two bags of sand from a LFS yesterday,and 55 gallons of water,i gave the sand a good rinse before putting it into my tank,around 5pm yesterday,and this morning the tank is still extremly cloudy,looks like watered down milk in there,what can i do??

Magnum 350 with the diatom filter option.......

Would be crystal clear in a few hours.

i was going to get livesand,but chris at fishscales said this would be better?..."Atlantic Crushed Coral"...ever heard of it??

Crushed coral?

Yeah, I used it in the mid 1980s, until the mid 1990s.

Smaller particles (ie sand) is more surface area for live bacteria, less spaces for detritus to hide and rot.

It's usable but wouldn't be my first choice.

It's likely just dust - it will settle sooner or later. Micron filter as mentioned will help.

Jenn

Well, each person has his/her opinion of what's best - I only stated mine - but I've used both, and I prefer sand. The CC is usable - just wouldn't be my first choice is all.

Dry aragonite would cause a dustbowl in the tank for a while too, for what it's worth.

I like live sand - some here may disagree with that, as to the benefits of the "live" part - but I can tell you, it's worth the extra cost to just be able to pour it in and have a clear tank within an hour - no rinsing or other fussing. I try to work smarter, not harder.

Jenn

I don't think his issue is live/not live - but rather the dust storm that resulted from it. As I mentioned in my last post, dry aragonite would have done the same thing.... or any other dry substrate - even after rinsing.

Jenn

KR561;318050 wrote: i was going to get livesand,but chris at fishscales said this would be better?..."Atlantic Crushed Coral"...ever heard of it??

They still make that?

and i have a bag of live sand coming out of my 12gallon that im going to put in it...just really wish it was not this cloudy..someone was supposed to be picking up my 12gallon today after i swapped everything over...dont think thats going to happen anytime soon... =/

Yep, they do. There are plenty of folks who are old school who still use undergravel filters - and that's the appropriate medium for that. It has other uses too, including in cichlid aquariums.

There's nothing wrong with it - like I said - just my opinion that there are better choices - just as I'm sure the person who recommended it feels that it's the better option. Neither of us is "right" or "wrong" - both are perfectly usable, it comes down to a matter of opinion is all. I hope I didn't come across as "my way or the highway" because I didn't intend that - just stating how I do it - totally subjective.

Jenn

no i understand...thank you for your input,i wish i would have known it would be like this before i bought it,i would have rather paid the extra $$ on the live sand,and be ready to go.

If you really want to you can use a flocking agent like Seachem Clarity or Kent ProClear Marine. They bind to the fine particles in the water column and make them heavier - thus they fall to the bottom and/or get snagged in mechanical filter media.

Again - this method is not my first choice - but if too much time goes by and it's still not clearing up - that's doable - but make sure your pH isn't lagging to begin with because these products can cause the pH to drop a bit - usually it's added after the lights have been on for a bit, and monitor the pH during treatment. It's safe for inverts and corals etc.

I don't like "chemical fixes" per se - but there are times when something like this is indicated.

Jenn

Wish we were closer, you could borrow my magnum...... It's wonderful and I don't see how people have fish tanks without one.......

I used to diatom my tank twice a year when I had Fish only systems

Catch the fish, put them in a cooler with alil tank water and airstone, then swish the substrate around untill the water was literally brown. Hook up the magnum, and swish the substrate every twenty minutes or so, and within two hours, the water would be clear when you swished the substrate. Its really wonderful for your water clarity.

I dont endorse the practice on a DSB, although I have done it myself with good results.....

im scared to put my fish in this tank now....brb...going to micky D's for a chik-n-bisk-it =)

KR561;318068 wrote: no i understand...thank you for your input,i wish i would have known it would be like this before i bought it,i would have rather paid the extra $$ on the live sand,and be ready to go.

You might have gotten simarlar results with live sand, maybe alil less cloudiness though. I*f this is your only quam with the product, then I'm reminded of my mom's favorite expression...... "This too shall pass"</em>

Thank you Jenn, I have truly admired the guidance and knowledge that you have brought to the boards lately.:yes:
This sand is a byproduct from the harvesting of aragonite base rock, it is truly aragonite sand. As a store I do not typically carry (bagged) live sand. I do always send out 4-5# of live sand with every new tank set up to seed the tank.

haha..yea i just hope it passes sooner than later...i have a nano tank with a regal tang/scooter blenny/maroon clown/six line wrasse/cleaner shrimp/camel shrimp/serpent star/and corals...should i be worried about putting any of these into the new tank??

Back