Having Issues..

I was in the middle of a water change so I gave him the water, allows for more of the budget to be spent on liverock. Micro fauna and plankton also are in the water, I just figured there was a little benefit to it.

See after a while, I am heading to the mountains for a minute.

As they say at daycare, "different trikes for different tykes"... not something I'd do is all.

I'm always telling people NEVER put fish store water in your water :) (Exceptions for sponges and gorgonians, but that's IT!)

Like I've said - there are many ways and means in this hobby.

Jenn

Jenn, that brings up a question I've wondered about... if one were, say, moving their livestock etc to a new tank , I read your post to say you'd use all new water. As long as the LR and sand was moved (kept warm and wet for a brief time out of the tank, in buckets of SW for example), this would mean all you are doing in essence is a 100 percent water change. Does this cause any issues, like a mini-cycle? I always thought that was the reason we did smaller percentages.

Sorry for the hijack, but I gotta learn this stuff sometime!

It's a good question :)

If the move is under the same roof - meaning you can move it all quickly - then there's no trouble moving the water too, and adding to it **PROVIDED THAT** the established water is good - low to no nitrate, low to no phosphate etc. If it's already crummy, why move it? Throw it away.

All new water or a large percentage of new to old, will likely result in a diatom bloom as the water finds its ionic balance, but there should not be an ammonia cycle if everything moved was cured/established.

Moving sand can be problematic, especially if it's deep sand that hasn't been vacuumed regularly - we usually toss the sand and start with new live sand. The sand is often where the nasties lie in wait to be disturbed and cause problems. Each tank is different so we assess each situation on its own merit - but usually we toss the sand. Rock is fine - we give it a good swirly in the old (to be discarded) water to get rid of detritus.

Jenn

Thanks. That's kinda what I thought (and I was curious because sometime this summer I plan to get a larger tank for upstairs and set up my 75 in the basement game room). I just thought I'd ask because I have rapidly learned that if I go with what I think I'll probably be wrong.

JennM;318156 wrote: As they say at daycare, "different trikes for different tykes"... not something I'd do is all.

I'm always telling people NEVER put fish store water in your water :) (Exceptions for sponges and gorgonians, but that's IT!)

Like I've said - there are many ways and means in this hobby.

Jenn

I agree 100%. Just so happens there is much more to the entire story than what you are reading here on this thread.

tank has been set up for over 18 hours now...still pretty milky in there =/

my wife has to come home and take over the kids...i will be there soon

If you have a mechanical type filtration you could use the Seachem Clarity or Kent ProClear Marine. Then put filter floss in your mechanical. It should help remove a good bit of the cloudiness quicker after the particles are bound the floss will remove a lot of it. After a bit, probably about 24 hrs, toss out the floss. It should be pretty full of the dusty stuff. Used this when I didn't have a canister filter. This works on fresh, salt and ponds. I've used this method for over 30 years.

Back