HE washer and clean socks

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
We recently upgraded to a high efficiency washer and dryer set. My filter socks are not cleaning as well. It cleans clothes well, just not the filter socks. I am washing some now with hot water and bleach, high spin and high soil level. Any other suggestions to get better results?

elFloyd;943144 wrote: I use a HE washer with no problems. Do you turn the filter socks inside out?

+1

Additionally, the day I plan on washing them, I soak my dirty filter socks for a couple of hours in a bucket, then hose them off just before putting them in the machine. Works well for me.

I'm new to filter socks but they have been washing well in my HE washer. I have been soaking them in a container with vinegar and water until I wash and they seem to be very clean.

wash mine with baking soda and vinegar at a laundromat every sunday keeps the wife happy lol

We wash ours with bleach. High spin. And an extra rinse. They come out fine

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

So do you guys just wash it with bleach and nothing else? I assume soap is a big no no? This is my first time using filter socks for a set up as well. I've always used filter floss just because I get them in 500' rolls for free but with the current set up I can't use it because of crazy micro bubbles.

No soap. Extra rinse. Mine dry for a week so any chlorine is gone. When I first used socks I used detergent, talk about a skimmer going nuts

JohnIII;943205 wrote: No soap. Extra rinse. Mine dry for a week so any chlorine is gone. When I first used socks I used detergent, talk about a skimmer going nuts

Thanks for the info. I was planning on soaking it in some RODI water after the wash to help remove or dilude whatever chlorine/bleah that may be left over and then hang dry them. That sound okay as well?

Yep. Or you could dip them in prime/ro/di just before use to nuetralize

JohnIII;943207 wrote: Yep. Or you could dip them in prime/ro/di just before use to nuetralize

That sounds like a plan as well. I should be fine washing them once I'm down to just two clean ones though. I just received my order of (10) 7" socks so they should last me a few weeks before I need to wash. Thanks again for the info.

For my 90g, I washed my filter socks in Tide Free for over a year and never noticed any issues. I always rinsed multiple times to make sure it was all out, though.

Thanks for the input, I turned mine inside out last night for the first time. I also added the soak feature which I presume soaked the socks in a mixture of warm water and bleach (not sure when bleach is added). They turned out better than the last time.

We wash ours in a regular older style machine, with hot water and bleach. I use the second rinse, and put a dose of Prime (or Alpha) in at least one of those rinses (I usually forget one!) Hang to air dry.

If they are especially chunky (!) we hose off the crud first - I don't want to clog up the drain on the machine (or in the wall) with funk.

Jenn

I turn mine inside out and clean them off with high pressure jet from water hose. Turn back inside and repeat the process. Put them in a bucket of bleach water over night and put them on the porch to dry. The chorine breaks down and I have a Snow White felt bag to use. I change mine out every 3-6 days as needed.

Back