Help: Brown/Red Algae and Bubbles on sand

kwajtrader

Market
Reaction score
As of a week or so ago I have reddish purple algae(?) with bubbles forming on the sand on the side of my tank where I feed the fish and where they mostly hang out. The tank (70g corner with a sump) has been up since January with a slow addition of fish and almost all softies until recently. I’ve had several things change lately that I’m sure directly contributed to this problem, but I’m not sure if I’m doing all the right things to resolve this. Before this problem started I had 126W of HO T5’s. I just added a 250W MH. They were all on for 8.5hrs a day. I’ve added fans to circulate air and I did notice that the water temperature is at up to 80 from 78 previously. At the same time that I added the MH I also added a plate coral, a good sized yellow monti and two feather dusters to the tank from the Marine Fish annual sale. All are doing well except for the plate coral that was picked on by my Coral Beauty and subsequently died yesterday. I noticed a bare patch that kept growing and I just noticed the Coral Beauty nipping at the spot. I moved the plate coral to a basket and the next day he was dead. I’ve been stirring the sand and releasing the bubbles and breaking up the algae like substance every day. I checked Ammonia (~0), Nitrite (~0) and Nitrate (~7.5ppm). Calcium 400, Mg 1150, Alk 4.5, salinity 1.024. I did a 15% water change on Sunday and rechecked all again and the parameters are about the same. So far I’ve put the MH on a separate timer and cut the on-time to 5.5hrs and pulled out the dead plate coral. I’ve also cut back on how much I’ve been feeding the fish (2x/day) and corals (2-3x/week). What am I doing wrong? Should I be doing anything else?

Sounds like Cyanobacteria. Are you using RO? Alk seems a little low. What is your PH? Seems like you may want to up your alkalinity and/or PH and cut the lights completely for a couple days or at least shorten the cycle. If that doesn't work you may need to do several small water changes over a period of days until you have changed the whole volume of the tank. Also check for phosphates.

Sounds like you are on track, I wouldn't change anything more. Until this stuff covers one of your corals there is not a problem tactically. So is your skimmer working well and pulling gunk? Give it some time to settle, if you have only had the aquarium running since January you are due for this sort of thing. Keep the ph and calcium high and the tank clean and it will work out.....

On another note I am not sure about your long term success with a coral beauty in the tank.

Oh, just re-read your post. I would back off on feeding corals...what are you feeding and how much? Also what kind pumps and flow do you have in the tank?

Hi Kwaj,

Three main reasons: Silicate levels, Phosphates or Light levels and duration.

Adding to Leas's question regarding using an RO, have you checked the PPM with a TDS meter?
If your using an RO, do you have a DI chamber?
How old are the filters?
What K bulb are you using?
How close to the surface is your MH?
Your Silicate levels maybe up from older filter in RO.
What Live rock do you have in the tank, did you add any peices of live rock recently?

My advice would be:
1. Reduce the feeding to every 4 days if you do need to feed.
2. Reduce the MH to 8 hours maybe over 2 cycles with an hour between this will also help reduce temperature fluctuations this will help normalize the PH levels.
3. Check any room light coming from an external source, if you have a lot of light coming into the room reduce the light of the MH.
4. If you dont have a DI add a DI to your RO setup. $32.00 see link below.
5. Check the output of the RO for PPM using a TDS meter: ebay for $18.00
6. Depending on the depth of your tank, check the level between surface and MH, mine is: 14inches some might have other thoughts.
7. Check for phosphates.

DI Unit: http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_28&products_id=146">http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_28&products_id=146</a>

Let us know.

Regards Zesty

First, thanks for all the great suggestions and input.

Tank:
This is a 70g corner tank with a 20g sump.

Water:
I have an RO/DI and an in-line dual TDS meter that has been reading 0 after the DI stage. I check PH, Calcium, Magnesium, Salinity, Alkalinity and now Nitrite/Nitrate weekly and even though I have an ammonia disk in my sump I checked it with the seachem test kit and it confirmed that it is at an undetectable level. The PH has always been at 8.3/8.4. I had checked phosphates a while ago when I saw green sponge forming on one of my rocks and at the time it showed around zero. I’ll check again now.

Lighting:
The bottom of the MH pendant is about 12” from the surface of the water along with the T5’s. The T5’s are on for 8 hours and the MH is on for 5 hours in the middle of the 8 hour period. The tank isn’t exposed to much outside light as the tank is a corner tank in a dark corner of the room.

Water flow:
I have a Vortech MP40 running in lagoon mode at about 25% of max output on one side of the tank and a Koralia 2 hooked up to a wavestrip on the other side. The sump has a mag7. There seems to be good flow and movement in the tank, but I’ve got the flexibility to kick it up with the Vortech.

Feeding/corals:
I have been spot feeding the duncans, hairy mushrooms, pagoda and palys chopped up mysis and occasionally cyclopeez. I’ve been feeding Eagle eyes, candy cane (after the lights go out) and richordea cyclopeez and I’ve been feeding the feather dusters and candy cane phytoplankton. The Duncan, hairy mushrooms, palys and pagoda have really responded to the feedings. The richordea look fine but haven’t really grown much if at all. I also have a red and yellow monti, a hammer coral and blue and pulsing xenias that all seem to be doing well. There are two corals that haven’t been doing as well as the rest and those are an Acan and Kenya tree. The acan was doing well until it kept getting knocked into the sand by the crabs and snails. I glued him to a rock and he never seemed to come back.

Feeding fish:
I feed them twice each night. I hand feed the tank only as much as they eat in a few minutes with flake or pellets and then I come back several hours later and feed them chopped up mysis and that’s when I feed the corals with a turkey baster. I add the mysis slowly waiting for them to eat what I just added before adding more.

Filtration/Skimmer:
I have a 20g sump with a 50micron filter sock at the intake side, a skimmer and a piece of live rock in the middle section and a 25micro pad on top of a sponge between the middle and return sections. The skimmer is a marineland 100. I really don’t like it. It is really difficult to regulate and I go from next to nothing to overflowing with a minor change in water level, like when I stick my arm in the tank to move things around (I normally wear aqua gloves, not 100% of the time). I want to do the mesh mod but haven’t been able to find a replacement impeller to modify. I set the bubble level to the bottom of the neck of the skimate chamber. I have an ATO running directly from my RO/DI with a float valve and a solenoid/float switch backup.

I’m going to cut back feeding the corals to every 4 days and I’ve already reduced the MH lighting. I think I’ll also do smaller partial water changes and keep and eye on everything. What was the verdict on stirring the sand? I thought releasing any built up nitrogen would be a good thing and keeping whatever it is from forming would also be positive.

1.Do small water changes, reduce time lights are on, add carbon--if its still there
2. Use UV light (i jamed mine into the overflow lines, cleared it up in 24 hours)--if that doesnt work
3.Chemi-clean--you have to turn off your filters, but it will kill it in about 3 days

Hi Kwaj,

next thing is to just keep checking it you will either notice a difference within a few days, if we are on track.

Whats K is your 250w MH?
How many lumens of T5's?

RE the MH I still think your MH is a little close to the water, Is it hanging or on a bracket.

I had a cyano bloom about 3 months ago, which came on about a week after putting in a new 250w 20K, I found by simply reducing the number of hours in my case to 1 x 3 hour and 1 x 4hr shift with an hour between and heightening the pendant it reduced the algea very quickly i.e. 2-3 days.

Re your skimmer can you take a photo of it, also can you measure the outlet to the sump, I may have a fix for you.

While your at it can you take a couple images of your tank, might be able to see something.

Regards Z

Not great photo's but I think these give you the idea.

The MH is mounted in a hole I cut in the top of the canopy. It's a 14K Pheonix bulb. I don't know the lumen output of the T5's but I'll try and find out.

CIMG0952.jpg
>http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww227/kwajtrader/CIMG0952.jpg</a>
CIMG0954.jpg
>http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww227/kwajtrader/CIMG0954.jpg</a>
CIMG0953.jpg
>http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww227/kwajtrader/CIMG0953.jpg</a>
CIMG0947.jpg
>http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww227/kwajtrader/CIMG0947.jpg</a>
CIMG0948.jpg
>http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww227/kwajtrader/CIMG0948.jpg</a>

Lights:
before.jpg
>http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww227/kwajtrader/before.jpg</a>
Lightupgradeinprogress.jpg
>http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww227/kwajtrader/Lightupgradeinprogress.jpg</a>

Back