HELP! emergency quarintine tank!

twistoflime

Market
Reaction score
Ok so I came home from school and saw sparky hiding in a shell. I thought it was kinda strange but I didn't worry about it. Then he nevre (even when I put food in) came out from 4:30 to 8:30 so I knew somthing was wrong. I filled a 2g tank with water from my 30g and put him in it. It looks like something bit him right behind the left eye but it couldn't of been the dwarf moray eel because it's mouth shape is different and there is only a bite mark on one side of sparky's head. Now he's swiming funny and I don't know what to do! I can't even get any good pictures of the cut! I don't want it to get infected! Sparky is my first fish and I really don't want him to die after only 2 months! Please HELP!

A GDM bite will typically be on both sides of a small fish like that... but who knows...

If you have sparky seperated make sure you have a lil flow going on in there and put something like PVC in there so he can hide. If its a simple laceration he should be fine but you can treat with antibiotics...

What do you mean by "swimming funny".

He is swimming tilted to one side. The cut looks deep. As I looked more closley it cut Sparky's eye too...

Jee does have teeth but they're closer to the back of the mouth and pointed inward. They puncture and hold more so than cut but anything is possible and it could be Jee that did it...

I think it would be wise to administer an antibiotic in your hospital tank so as to prevent infection.

blind1993;231405 wrote: lateral line?
What do you mean? Sparky is swimming slightly more normal know but not much. If you were facing Sparky's face he is tilting probobly somwere around 20-30 degrees to the right. I wish I noticed this befor I went to marine fish, I could of picked up the anitbiotics then. Sparky is also breathing more normally know.

a>

That is not what it is. It looks like a paper cut except alot deeper and a little wider.

Just make sure you change out some water everyday. I just did the same thing with a sick clown and have changed 2 gallons of water each day (10G) tank. Make sure your ammonia doesnt spike and then cause even more stress.

purpleGORILLA;231483 wrote: I don't know..It sounds like your new dwarf moray took a bite out of sparky.
agreed...

When that devil green took a bite out of the grouper it looked like what you described..only bigger, the grouper was about 6" though and the eel was around 30" or so..

FutureInterest;231671 wrote: How's sparky doing?
He is swimming noramally and is eating well. I picked up some anti biotics from marine fish today and he is looking alot better so I think he will be fine!

So far he is doing very well. If he stays this well for the rest of the week I will put him back in the 30g Sunday.

Back