Help ID This Brown Algae

I had a UV light that I was not using. So I hooked it up a couple hours ago and we'll see if it works. I think from what I gathered here is that I should be able to tell a difference in about 3 -4 days. Is that what y'all think?

grimreefer;326694 wrote: I had a UV light that I was not using. So I hooked it up a couple hours ago and we'll see if it works. I think from what I gathered here is that I should be able to tell a difference in about 3 -4 days. Is that what y'all think?
I guess both you and me will both find out. :cheers:

I figure if it does work out in my 20 gallon, I'll move it to the sump on my main 65 gallon.

grimreefer;326694 wrote: I had a UV light that I was not using. So I hooked it up a couple hours ago and we'll see if it works. I think from what I gathered here is that I should be able to tell a difference in about 3 -4 days. Is that what y'all think?

Mine made a big differance in just 24 hours, probley just luck, but it can hurt. I just jamed it inline my overflows spray bar so all the water got blasted with it.

Go luck, i hope it works

Okay, UV does seem to help. It's been 4 days and I can see a definite reduction in the brown slime algae. It is still there but just a lot less. Also it seems that my Lawn Mower Blenny as well as my tangs seem to be eating the less strong algae. So maybe between the UV and my cleanup crew I can get rid of this stuff. Cross your fingers.

I haven't had any success with my UV in my 20 gallon tank. Then again I don't have any cyno in there. Just some green algae. I'm probably to stop it and reseat everything in the UV unit and try again tomorrow.

Even then, I'm still going to try it on my main display tank later next week. Hopefully it can get rid of the cyno that's starting to come back on me. I really don't want to use the red slime remover again. My skimmer took 2 weeks to recover from the last time I used it.

I don't think I have cyno. I know everyone here said it was cyno, but I think the pictures must have been bad. I think it was brown slime algae and that was how I treated it and it seemed to work. Anyways, I don't know what it was but UV seems to help. :yes:

grimreefer;329431 wrote: I don't think I have cyno. I know everyone here said it was cyno, but I think the pictures must have been bad. I think it was brown slime algae and that was how I treated it and it seemed to work. Anyways, I don't know what it was but UV seems to help. :yes:

glad it worked out for you, do a few water changes and with the UV you should beat it. Mines been gone for, i think about a week now, next week i'll turn the UV off again, and i may just run it once or twice a week.

Oil_Fan;329428 wrote: I haven't had any success with my UV in my 20 gallon tank. Then again I don't have any cyno in there. Just some green algae. I'm probably to stop it and reseat everything in the UV unit and try again tomorrow.

Even then, I'm still going to try it on my main display tank later next week. Hopefully it can get rid of the cyno that's starting to come back on me. I really don't want to use the red slime remover again. My skimmer took 2 weeks to recover from the last time I used it.

UV wont help with green or hair algea, a stronger skimmer, cheato, and a good clean-up crew will take care of that.

Okay, the UV took care of the Brown Slime Algae. But now I think I might have a little Cyno. I have a small area that looks to be Cyno or it might be red slime algae. Bottom line is that the UV took care of the Brown Slime Algae, YEA!!:D and now on to the next algae. :boo: I think I'll start a 72 hours of darkness for the tank. My fish hate me when I do this. LOL

Michael Ruppert;335372 wrote: CHemi-CLean worked for me.
Ya I've had success with that. Though it only lasts for a couple of months for me. I've got the stuff back again. I've moved my UV from the sump to the main tank in hopes of killing the stuff. It's not increasing and may actually be reducing.

If it does work, then I'll plumb the thing in permanently.

Back