Help ID worm

havoc17

Market
Reaction score
In the past few months I have lost 5 cleaner shrimp, a few of them looked as if they had wounds on their sides as if they were bite marks. I have a toby puffer and a blue throat trigger, but neither seem to bother the shrimp. About a month ago, I noticed the back end of a worm crawling into live rock but never saw it again. Yesterday when I checked the tank, my newest and last cleaner shrimp's head was sticking out of a small hole in the live rock that I had seen the worm go into. The shrimp was fine only a few hours before and was staying on the back of the tank near the overflow. It had been on the back wall for a few days which was abnormal because it is usually up front with a cleaning station. I touched the shrimp and it didn't respond so I began to pull it out of the rock. Something would attempt to pull it back in. Once I got it all the way out, there was only a third of the shrimp left. So today I pulled the live rock out where the shrimp and worm were and soaked it in fresh water. So far these two worms have come out. I've read about bristle worms and it seems like it is a very generic term that includes a lot of worms. Are these worms just scavenger worms or are the predatory that could have been attacking shrimp? Thanks!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1003186=58256-worm.jpg
>
1003186=58256-worm.jpg
class="gc-images" title="worm.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1003186=58257-worm2.jpg
>
1003186=58257-worm2.jpg
class="gc-images" title="worm2.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Those look like Bristle worms to me but I'm no expert. Some really scary ones do exist though. I was losing livestock in a 29 Biocube and finally got a good look at the culprit, it was terrifying. I think the consensus was Medusa worm for me.

If you really believe there is something else in the tank dip all the rock .
I'd maybe look for some iodine dip it drives critters out from deep in the rocks .
There is no doubt some scary stuff out there that can find its way in to closed systems.
Good luck

Chad those are just bristle worms. They would just eat on a shrimp if it was sick, hurt or dead, not capable of attacking and killing a cleaner.
As Terry said above you could have something else...
I'm pretty sure I smashed one of my cleaners moving Rock before. I wouldn't think you could do it to 5 but thought I'd mention it.

Both the puffer and the trigger are known to eat shrimp. That would be my first guess.

I haven't seen the trigger or puffer go after any of the shrimp, they both have let the shrimp clean them. Both are fed quite well. Pretty sure they haven't been hit with any rocks, yesterday was the first day that I had moved anything. Nothing else has went missing or died except the cleaner shrimp. Is there any diseases that only affect cleaner shrimp?

Back