Help! Low PH

oz

Market
Reaction score
I calibrated my ph probes and in the solutions - they read 7.01 and 10.01. In my sump I am getting a 7.74ph reading right now!!!!

I haven't hooked up my kalkwasser setup yet so how can I up the ph in a safe manner? just a lot of buffer over a few hours? I've already put buffer in and it's still 7.74.

Suggestions? Thanks guys.

Don't spaz out man. Your ph has been at that level for a long time and its doing fine. The only difference is that you're aware of it.

Verify the ph reading with a chemical test kit. Then add some buffer or kalkwasser but keep an eye on your other levels. Take it slow :)!

Hey Jin,

It's low and I think my corals are suffering for it. no grow and the milli's are not near as "hairy" as they're supposed to be.

chemical test kit said ph was around 8.3.

I added buffer but maybe not enough. i guess I could hook up the kalkwasser reactor and slowly drip from that.

Also, did you set your Vortech's to pulse to get the wave? I have mine set to reef crest mode now and seems to be giving a nice random flow.

What ever it may be don't go adding too much too fast...that's the best way to kill a lot of coral - sudden raise in pH.

Hey Lee,

I added the kalkwasser to the mix and plan on raising the ph by .1 a day until I get to 8.3.

Went from 7.74 to 7.84 this evening.

That should be a good plan right?

Yeah...just make sure it goes sloooow. Granted you get a decent swing from day into night...but it's slow. You should be fine.

Mine was consistantly low at 7.8-8.0 until I started dosing Bulk Reef Supply's two part solution. Now I'm more consistent at 8.1-8.2.

Constant drip/dosing will help.

You can set up a drip with many buffering products, but you risk flooding or overdripping.

I think the best thing to do is top off with kalk. Many people dont care for it, but it makes my tank maintain a much better ph, and precipitates phosphates..

Also a big refugium with lots of algaes in it can help raise it some. Basically one way to raise PH is to remove CO2, and plants oviously do that, so a fuge helps.

We need a Tunze Osmolator Group buy! :) Then dose kalk on a regular basis.

just curious, have you tested your probe using the 20-mule-team Borax test?

Hey Tom,

I haven't tested it with that test no.

I did put the probe in 7 and 10 calibration fluid and it was spot on.

I bought it used so not sure. I guess I need to take some water to a store (or another member) and have them drop a probe in it. I would like a confirmation that my ph is around 7.74 before I start really making changes.

will the ph stay the same in transit for 30mins?

I may just need to get a new probe and see if there is a difference.

here:

a>

Thanks i was just reading this article:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php">http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php</a>

I just aerated a cup of water outside and then dropped my ph probe in the cup. It went to 8.1,

So after multiple test kits saying different things and used ph probes yielding different results I bought a nice lab grade probe from Tim this afternoon. Also picked up another probe last night. I calibrated them both and they are yielding the same ph result - 8.24!

So I guess I had old / bad probes. Go figure.

So now have have the following results:

ph - 8.24 - Target - 8.3
dkh - 14 (high) - Target 9
nitrates - 25 (not great) - Target 0
phosphates - 0.6 (not great) - Target 0
Calcium - 460 (little high) - Target 420
Mag - 1250 (little low) - Target 1350
Temp - 80

What's strange is that usually when calc is high your alk should be low right? Not sure why my alk is still on the high side.

ChrisOzment;231802 wrote:
What's strange is that usually when calc is high your alk should be low right? Not sure why my alk is still on the high side.

Not strange when you have CA reactor hooked up.

Any way you could elaborate Lee? Trying to understand things better and continue stabilizing.

Back