Help me decide MRC 4.5 hot or Geo 612

quixotic reefer

Reaction score
I am looking at the MRC HOT 4.5 or the GEO 612 model calcium reactors for my Cadlights 39 sig. The MRC is a HOT (Hang On Tank) model which I like a lot because it would not take up space in the cabinet and of supporting the local economy. The Geo on the other hand is very highly rated by all the reviews I have read and seems to be trouble free. Does anyone have any experiences with these two models? or alternative reactors that I should look at? I like to buy equipment once, so quality is important to me but I don't want to spend more than I have to just so I can say I have a "x" brand.
(btw no kalc stirrers, additives or drip systems I want to set it and forget it)
Thanks, Quixotic

What size tank? You may also want to look into the Schuran Jetstream Pico or Jetstream 1.

I have a geo 612 and love it. It is the most trouble free piece of equipment I own. It is also the only calcium reactor I have tried. Although it might be to large for a 39gal. I think Dough has the other skimmer PM him.

Joe

sailfish;173706 wrote: I have a geo 612 and love it. It is the most trouble free piece of equipment I own. It is also the only calcium reactor I have tried. Although it might be to large for a 39gal. I think Dough has the other skimmer PM him.

Joe

Yeah, I emailed GEO and they said that they are in the planning stages of a 4" model but I have no idea when that might come out. (would love a 4" HOT Geo model if anyone is listening:thumbs: )

...as far as being to big I thought that it didn't matter you would only have to replace the media less frequently.

"I think Dough has the other skimmer PM him." I meant reactor.

I guess it may not be to large but my drips at a fairly slow rate of 25 to 30ml a min.(thats easly half what it could do) for a total volume of around 90gal. My dkh is 9.5 to 10 and full of sps.

So if i had to guess you would barley have it dripping at all for 39gal. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing. Others should be able to give an opinion on if its to large and any draw backs of having one to large. Just something to consider.

Joe

sailfish;173706 wrote: I have a geo 612 and love it. It is the most trouble free piece of equipment I own. It is also the only calcium reactor I have tried. Although it might be to large for a 39gal. I think Dough has the other skimmer PM him.

Joe

Yeah, I emailed GEO and they said that they are in the planning stages of a 4" model but I have no idea when that might come out. (would love a 4" HOT Geo model if anyone is listening:thumbs: )

...as far as being to big I thought that it didn't matter you would only have to replace the media less frequently.(slow typer your reply came in while I was responding...I would like to know if this would be too large)

Back