help!!! mercury!!!

jade76

Market
Reaction score
my heater exploded In my sump..I caught it close to when it went down..it happened at night ...what do I do? I have another heater but whatelse? are my corals gonna die? my fish?

yep..from the sump up..about 5-10 min before I noticed!! what do I do? Ive got no means for exporting anything anywhere!

try the magnet thing dude i dont know what else to tell you ....good luck man try big water changes too like 100% water changes

also ask this ?on reef central there alot more people on line that might know what to do

Did your thermometer contain red liquid or silver liquid? Red is dyed alcohol or mineral spirits whereas mercury is silver.

carbon maybe... not sure of the bonding properties of mercury once it is diluted into a water column. Certainly can't hurt.

Jeff, I have a 26g bowfront you are welcome to...I know it's not huge but if you need it it's yours.

I also have a 72g bowfront but no plumbing below. You could keep the water level below the overflow and use an HOB filter.

DannyBradley;124360 wrote: Carbon should grab all heavy metals from the water.
Apparently mostly true. Carbon apparently doesn't work well on lead unless designed to do so. However in this instance and with Mercury, it will help.

Found this
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
124366=7626-carbon.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
124366=7626-carbon.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="carbon.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Good to know. I don't think I've ever seen mercury used in an aquarium thermometer anyway, but I'm no going to assume that it was an aquarium thermometer just to be on the safe side.

The type of mercury in your therm is not very water soluable at all. More dangerous to living organisms are methylmercury-which is bioaccumulative and highly soluable in water-not the kind in your fish tank.

If I really wanted to be say, these things would help a great big:

Remove all living things to a different tank

I would suggest you throw away all your gravel and use new ones from someone else's tank.

Scrub the sump with a Hg removing sponge and glove, clean your aquarium glass.

Put everything back afterwards and start using 1lb of carbon every 7 days.

Drip "Kalkwasser"

Mercury in any form will harm/kill animals, inorganic mercury zero (which is the kind you're dealing with) isn't as bad as it's PR reputation.
1. it don't dissolve well
2. removed somewhat by carbon and calcium hydroxide ("Kalkwasser")
3. whatever dissolved don't pose a big threat to your livestock

hi
you have mercury in you tank.This is metallic mercury. The more important pollution are aril and alkil mercury for now you not have in you tank. you have time for clean the mercury.for mercury go to transformer on othr forms the need some special condinition For example sedimentes anaerobic.

woke this morn....all my inverts and corals are dead the fish are the only survivors. this sucks....

Back