Help... my expensive corals look horrible

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I have a mixed reef, my nicer corals like wellsophilia, lobophilia, and orange acan look horrible. All of my fish, nems and cheaper corals like palys look fine.

Salinity 1.024
Ph 8.0
Nitrate 10
Phos .2
Calcium 490
ammonia 0

I realize the Calcium is high at 490 but I'm not convinced that I used the Salifert test correctly.
I use Tropic Marin Pro salt and do a weekly water change that is about 12-14% of my total water. The tank has been set up for 13 months and has been fairly stable aside from cyano last winter.

I've tested for everything I have the ability to test for and would appreciate any advise.

I intend to take a sample in for a calcium test tomorrow to verify if it is high.

With ca that high you might have alkalinity that's gotten real low, an issue I am in the process of fixing right now

I think I have a buffer that adjusts alk. If I have an alk test it's API and not very trustable.

If it turns out that I do have high calcium how do I lower it?

I test alk weekly but only test cal every month or so. Imo alk is the most important thing to test and to try to keep stable. I dont even worry about my cal for the most part

I agree, alk is by far the biggest thing that will hose you super quick. Calc seems in the ballpark and not the problem.
is phos really .2 or is it .02? big difference

KH is 9 according to my API kit. I'm not really sure how that relates to Alk though. The lfs nearby uses API kits and it will take a few days to get a Salifert Alk kit through the mail.

My phos is .2 according to my Salifert test. Should it be .02? That may seem like a dumb question but it is right where it has been on the color chart since I bought the kit six months ago.

Nevermind, Google settled that one, .02 is right. I'll have my wife test the PHos, she's more scientific than I.

Calcium at 490 is no big deal at all. KH at 9 is good. And an elevated phosphate level won't hurt your corals either. I'd look elsewhere for your problem.

The OP posted salinity at 1.024! But didn't mention lighting...is your lighting new?
Pic's might help

Acroholic;984872 wrote: Calcium at 490 is no big deal at all. KH at 9 is good. And an elevated phosphate level won't hurt your corals either. I'd look elsewhere for your problem.

disagree...depending upon how elevated, plus, trates are already "high" IMHO...

Calcium and Alk are perfect...

Ralph ATL;984877 wrote: disagree...depending upon how elevated, plus, trates are already "high" IMHO...

Calcium and Alk are perfect...
RHF's parameters article states phosphates should be <.03. OP's is .02. And high nitrate levels would encourage algae growth, not any negative effects on corals. Article also states reef aquaria can function at much higher nitrate levels, up to 20. OP's level at 10.

a>

The 3 that I test for and their ranges are Calcium (420-500), Alk (8.3-9.3) and Magnesium (1300). The first two, you are in range but I didnt see anything on the mag. Have you tested it recently?

Did you recently add/change anything like add carbon/gfo or add a new piece of equipment?

I don't have a mag test, that will take a few days if the lfs can't help me out.

The only major change recently was a Reefbreeder Photon light added in late June. I was a big diatom problem for the first few weeks but that cleared up.

I've been running carbon and gfo reactors since January, both changed regularly. I switched to Rowaphos because it lasts longer and that is probably how PO4 crept up to .2, it is due to be changed.

Hmm...do a large water change. While everyone is scratching their heads, that will beneficial right now.

Butch;984879 wrote: The 3 that I test for and their ranges are Calcium (420-500), Alk (8.3-9.3) and Magnesium (1300). The first two, you are in range but I didnt see anything on the mag. Have you tested it recently?

+1 mag can harm corals if levels are to high.

What fish do you have? The corals you listed are all LPS with big meaty fleshy polyps that can be irresistible to certain fish.

Rusty Angel, Tomini and Yellow Tang, Diamond Goby, Purple Pseudo, Two O Clowns, Tricolor Blenny, Bar Goby and a Blue Throat Trigger. I also have hermits and snails, and a red serpant star.

Back