Help... my expensive corals look horrible

I took a sample into a local lfs, they had me at an Alk of 7. I tend to trust that more than my API reading because they do frequent tests and go through the kits quickly. That means my Alk is low, but the guy said it should be at least 14. I thought the acceptable parameters for Alk were 8-12.

rk4435;985013 wrote: I took a sample into a local lfs, they had me at an Alk of 7. I tend to trust that more than my API reading because they do frequent tests and go through the kits quickly. That means my Alk is low, but the guy said it should be at least 14. I thought the acceptable parameters for Alk were 8-12.

I am for 9-10 may e a little higher.

Acroholic;984878 wrote: RHF's parameters article states phosphates should be <.03. OP's is .02. And high nitrate levels would encourage algae growth, not any negative effects on corals. Article also states reef aquaria can function at much higher nitrate levels, up to 20. OP's level at 10.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/</a>[/QUOTE]

OP states 0.2 not 0.02

whoaa!

rk4435;985013 wrote: I took a sample into a local lfs, they had me at an Alk of 7. I tend to trust that more than my API reading because they do frequent tests and go through the kits quickly. That means my Alk is low, but the guy said it should be at least 14. I thought the acceptable parameters for Alk were 8-12.

Did they tell you what any of your other perimeters were?

They had my calcium at 400. I had it at 380 using an API kit and 490 using Salifert. They couldn't test Magnesium but did have a Salifert kit so I bought it and I'll check it in a little while after the tank circulates following the water change.

Ralph ATL;985015 wrote: OP states 0.2 not 0.02

whoaa!

rk4435;984866 wrote: Nevermind, Google settled that one, .02 is right. I'll have my wife test the PHos, she's more scientific than I.

He corrected himself in post #8 at .02 PO4.

*dam

really? DAM "B" is a "cuss word"? yet we can say, "WTF?"

lol

Ralph ATL;985031 wrote: oh ****, lol....missed that obviously! :)

No big deal.....I just don't see anything in the OP's parameters to be the cause of his issues.

My Magnesium is 1330-1350 according to the Salifert test. Therefore, it seems as if the only parameter terribly out of whack is the Phos at .2 and the Alk at 7 according to my LFS. They used an api kit and a different alk kit will not arrive until Thursday.

rk4435;985399 wrote: My Magnesium is 1330-1350 according to the Salifert test. Therefore, it seems as if the only parameter terribly out of whack is the Phos at .2 and the Alk at 7 according to my LFS. They used an api kit and a different alk kit will not arrive until Thursday.

OK, which phosphate level is it? Is it .2 or .02? In post 1 you say .2, then corrected it in post 8 to .02, and back again to .2 in the above.

there COULD be something within your parameters that are screwing you over, but they look ok to me... I mean maybe not text book ideal, but certainly within reason. I'm with the Panda on this one... are they getting picked at?

if your ALK is at 7 then it could be affecting your coloration. IMO 7 is workable but getting low.. I always liked mine around 9.5-10ish. That being said I wonder if you're experiencing Alk swings for some reasons.

whether your alk kit is right or not, at least you can do multiple tests .. like morning and night, and see if there is a major deviation.

I don't know... just FEELS like an alk problem to me for some reason.

I swear the Phos is .2. Everything is looking a bit better, I started slowly dosing Alk buffer Saturday night. I can't do anything substantial until the Salifert kit arrives.

Back