Help my sump just flooded.

ace1204

Market
Reaction score
Ok so i set my 46bowfront up. Kept the water level right above the return pump at the water level marker to prevent floods. well turned everything on full blast and the mag7 ran dry so i cut power. everything looked ok for a minute until the water lever kept rising higher and higher, as i ran around going crazy like a cheerleader at a pep rally looking for a cup to start moving water i heard it over flow. Like an idiot i was moving water instead of turning my ball valves off lol. Go figure i guess thats what they are for. So my question is why did it overflow? i have 2 1" drains and 3/4 hose for return which splits off into 2 return lines. I figured i can cut back the power on the return pump with my ball valve to keep it from running dry. but in a power failure i still have the problem of a flood. Please any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks

Ok so for the pictures. These are after i drained a little of the water out after flood. Ignore the aqua c remora please thats just a temp. and i have replumbed the maxijet on it yet. next picture is the refugium and next to that is the return side with mag 7 in it. Then is a pic of the durso's. Should i turn the drain 90's down?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
188305=11401-sump 4.jpg
>
188305=11401-sump 4.jpg
class="gc-images" title="sump 4.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
188305=11398-sump.jpg
>
188305=11398-sump.jpg
class="gc-images" title="sump.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
188305=11399-sump2.jpg
>
188305=11399-sump2.jpg
class="gc-images" title="sump2.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
188305=11400-sump3.jpg
>
188305=11400-sump3.jpg
class="gc-images" title="sump3.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Anti siphon! Drill a tiny little hole in the return lines just below the water line.

Sounds like you back siphoned from your main tank to your sump. You need either a) a hole in your return line to break the siphon or b) your return lines need to be about 1/2" below the water line so when the water gets to that point, it breaks the siphon.

true, when your pump turns off the water will flow down through your returns. So it will drain until the opening of the return line hits air. All you have to do is raise your loc line near the surface and when your pump is turned off the water level will only drop to the lowest open hole "your return line"

also a good addition would be a check valve on your return lines. That way you can put the loc line anywhere you want.

o wait so drill a hole in the vinyl hose right above where it is connected to the mag 7?

chrisjet;188315 wrote: also a good addition would be a check valve on your return lines. That way you can put the loc line anywhere you want.

Until check valves fail like the do easily with saltwater. :doh:

ace1204;188316 wrote: o wait so drill a hole in the vinyl hose right above where it is connected to the mag 7?

No your hole should be on your return line (from the Mag 7) right below the water line of your display tank.

ace1204;188316 wrote: o wait so drill a hole in the vinyl hose right above where it is connected to the mag 7?

no. where your return line comes into the tank(on the inside of your tank) where your lockline is...drill a siphon hole at the surface of the water..

ok think i have it figured out Chrisjet just gave me a call and walked me through it.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. Also should i turn the elbows inside the tank with the opening down in the water, or leave them angled up like i have them

Dont matter. However you like them. Quieter turned down though... but may lower your water level a bit.

I would raise the locline up. Put a hump so the heads are still facing down. I would also run the checkvalve because you will move the locline and forget I promise. Also remember that not all checkvalves are created equal If you can find a gated one in the size you need at a plumbing supply (not lowes) I would recommend that.

Barbara;188343 wrote: Clint, do you need help? I'm in Woodstock. I just got home but could come to you if you need.

Thanks barbara i got it all figured out, took a little playing around with it, but chris called me and pretty much walked me through fixing it.

My uncle owns a plumbing company so im gonna have him grab me a good gated checkvalve

Thank you everyone for the help. :)

Back