Help needed to start my first reef tank.

pkaugusta

Market
Reaction score
I am totally new to the saltwater area. So after seeing a CL ad on a used tank , decided to dabble in to it. According to the ladty who sold me , this tank ran for several year. And when we had the ice-storm , the power failures killed all of it. Its a 75g RR tank (glass) . right now I am trying to figure what each of these parts are and what more is needed to start a tank. In addition to stuff shown here. I have a corallife actinic and 10,000k mixed light system with it.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
960744=54283-20140605_184929.jpg
>
960744=54283-20140605_184929.jpg
class="gc-images" title="20140605_184929.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
960744=54285-20140605_184952.jpg
>
960744=54285-20140605_184952.jpg
class="gc-images" title="20140605_184952.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

The first looks like an old protein skimmer. The second is a drain pipe for the overflow.

ok thanks . I am near national hills. Thanks for the offer. I will let you know when I am available .

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/Prasanna_Kumara_PK/library/">http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/Prasanna_Kumara_PK/library/</a>

so will this be enough for me to start the reef tank ? (accessories)

you can see the old-fashioned filer under the hood. any comments on that ?

the filter looks like a two stage. with mechanical ( layer of sponge) and bio-balls next to it.

If it were me, I would ditch the bio balls and put matrix/pond matrix in its place. Have any powerheads?

Congrats! You have now made the plunge, now you have an incredible amount of reading//research to do. Take your time and get him to come over it will help 1000%!!

While you are waiting for BGcoop soak all of that stuff and then scrub as much of it away as possible. When I got started last year I posted a thread almost identical to this. I bought a bunch of used stuff then I couldn't figure out what most of it was. In a few months you'll be all over it!

Be glad. I have been one of the worst noobs in the history of the arc. My threads cause more confusion than anything else.

Thanks. i will do . So if figured out what some of the parts are. The filter is pro-clear wet and dry system (
a>) and the protein skimmer is the same brand .. older model of motorized protein skimmers.

Update :so just wanted to see whether my filter pump works. started giving smoke. I am working on this tank in the porch area ( don't want water all over my living room if somethings doesn't work. Just wondering. Is it possible to keep it on porch or balcony for a long time ? ( and take it in , in the winter) . I kind of like the idea of having a tank in the porch.
As for the tank , it looks like I need to buy a pump for the wet-dry filter, and probably try to fix the protein skimmer ( or buy a new one) .

I would take all the equipment let is soak in vinegar and ro water to clean that residue off. clean everything good.

Back