Help needed to start my first reef tank.

PKAugusta;961456 wrote: Update :so just wanted to see whether my filter pump works. started giving smoke. I am working on this tank in the porch area ( don't want water all over my living room if somethings doesn't work. Just wondering. Is it possible to keep it on porch or balcony for a long time ? ( and take it in , in the winter) . I kind of like the idea of having a tank in the porch.
As for the tank , it looks like I need to buy a pump for the wet-dry filter, and probably try to fix the protein skimmer ( or buy a new one) .

I assume you are talking about having a running tank outside. No that will not work way to hot. If sunlight hits it you will have an algae explosion. If someone thinks different please chime in:fish:

Yeah another new reefer in Augusta area. We Should seriously all get together. Coop is right. Way too hot in Augusta to keep a tank running outside. I have to run a chiller currently for my tank to keep it at 79 with house ac running all day at 76. I can't imagine it outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReefEnthusiast;961741 wrote: Yeah another new reefer in Augusta area. We Should seriously all get together. Coop is right. Way too hot in Augusta to keep a tank running outside. I have to run a chiller currently for my tank to keep it at 79 with house ac running all day at 76. I can't imagine it outside.

Where is the heat coming from? Do you have a small fan running across the top of the water. I use 500w of mh on my 90 with t5s. With the house at 74-76 I'm able to keep my tank 78-80 with the 2 small fans. One in each corner of the canopy.

OK lets forget about keeping it outside. :) I will keep my planted tank outside I guess. Now I need to setup the tank and read about reef tanks while it cycles.

Not sure where the heat is coming from. It's not just with my main DT but also my nano 6 cube.

Hi guys in augusta .does anyone need a free pencil urchin ?

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

So I got back from Atlanta with a sump , protein skimmer and lots of live rock !! ( Thanks everyone) Now I have two options 75 gallon already drilled(rr) and 125 not drilled ( I dont know whether its tempered or not) . I checked 75 for leaks but not 125 . I kind of like the 125 cos its 6 feet long. So drilled vs non drilled overflow? :) in amazon eshopps one has good reviews ( even on discussions).

thinking back again. I have a Beriln HOB skimmer rated from 25 - 250 . So do I need all that plumbing and worry about overflow. Can't I just put the skimmer and some powerheads along with live rocks and live sand ?

I'm running the eshopps 800gph overflow and it's worked flawlessly for me...

Oh and my heater...I really like not having a lot of stuff sitting in my display

So if I use the HOB skimmer I can avoid all that plumbing right ? cos nobody seems to be using mechanical filters or huge sumps with lots of algae in it . So is the sole purpose of the sump taking the water to skimmer ? ( and some aeration ?)

And for aesthetic reasons. Also increases total water volume like someone mentioned earlier (to help with bioload). But yes you can use the HOB skimmer and avoid the plumbing.

OK so I think I can cover the HOB in the back with some kind of an ornament. or background so only the pipes will show up. Cos my Atlanta trip ended up with serious livestock and nice corrals. One member was getting rid of the whole tank. And my live-rock came with corrals :). and some inverts . I hate to keep them in Rubbermaid and small tanks with less space. So I need to get my tank running soon.

PKAugusta;964540 wrote: :) questions again . Did you use RO/DI water. or treated tap water ?

You really need to use rodi. Also consider the cost of lighting the 125 vs 75. I just read the last couple of post so correct me if I'm wrong. You have rocks and corals but your tank isn't set up yet:wow2:

Back