Help! new birthday fish

fishgardener

Market
Reaction score
I just got a tiny Hippo Tang for my birthday yesterday. Big surprise. It is tiny, only one inch long. Does it reguire special care? I aclimated it for 6 hours. It is in a 40 gal tank with a firefish and a chalk bass. i know I'll have to have a bigger tank for him someday when he grows up. (How long will that take?) The 6 line wrasse was removed to my small hospital tank because he would have picked on the little guy.

Sheryle

Feed it OFTEN. The more the better. Little ones have a higher metabolism, and obviously a higher mortality rate. Dont worry, you should be ok though. Also feed it a good variety of foods.

as Derek said, feed it A LOT! I would feed that guy 7-10 times a day and make sure he eats. Make sure his diet is veggies; although tangs will eat meats, they won't thrive and won't be happy.

The small ones have a very high mortality rate, so you're going to have to put a lot of tlc in.

fishgardener;198025 wrote: specifically, what kind of food do you recommend?

I went to H-Mart and bought a large bag each of purple, brown and green seaweed. it's the same stuff as you'd buy at a lfs, but at a fraction of the price. My tangs (and every other fish in the tank) love this stuff...it's like crack to them.

To entice him to eat, you can soak the food in garlic extract.

Tangs are grazers and are used to nibbling all day.

Skriz;198027 wrote: I went to H-Mart and bought a large bag each of purple, brown and green seaweed. it's the same stuff as you'd buy at a lfs, but at a fraction of the price. My tangs (and every other fish in the tank) love this stuff...it's like crack to them.

hey i have a ??? if i have a flame angel, sixline, royal gramma and two fire fish will they like that also?

jgilley84;198030 wrote: hey i have a ??? if i have a flame angel, sixline, royal gramma and two fire fish will they like that also?

All of my fish go crazy over the brown stuff. I'll take a pic of the bag and post it. Even my anthias eat this stuff!

Skriz;198027 wrote: I went to H-Mart and bought a large bag each of purple, brown and green seaweed. it's the same stuff as you'd buy at a lfs, but at a fraction of the price. My tangs (and every other fish in the tank) love this stuff...it's like crack to them.

What is H-Mart? Is the it a specialty store? Is the seaweed found in the frozen foods or in the oriental food department?
Sheryle

Congrats on your fishie, and Happy Late Birthday!! My son's bday is today :) He's turning 3!

Good luck with your hippo!

dawgdude;198071 wrote: H-mart is an asian supermarket I believe.

My advice is this to get you started:

Go to publix or kroger near you, ask for Nori seaweed. It will be near the sushi, usually in the deli area so just ask them. Once you pick it up, look on the back and make sure it says the only ingredients are seaweed. If it says roasted or something then thats fine, ive fed the roasted seaweed for years.
Also, buy some VERY tiny pellet food by Spectrum Thera-A, as well as Prime Reef Flakes.

Secondly, go to your local LFS and try to find Garlic Guard and a product that supplements fatty amino acids. A good example of this is Selecon but there are other supplements out there. Soak the nori AND flake or pellet food garlic guard and selecon

Lastly, I would suggest looking into a small 8w UV and run it at about 60-70 GPH through the unit, NO FASTER. This will kill the ich in the water after about 2 months and he shouldnt have the stress of the ich which will help him to live longer.

Best of luck with the little one and like they said FEED FEED FEED! He will have a bunch of room to swim in a 40 breeder at his size so he should be ok for about a year. This is on of my favorite fish and they are just beautiful.

I have Nori seaweed from the LFS that I put in the tank but he didn't seem to notice it. He is picking stuff off the glass. I put in a few small formula II pellets that he didn't get either. I have some hair algae in the tank but I haven't seen hin go after that.
Would he be tank raised being that small or are they wild caught even that small?

H-mart is short for Hangul mart which simply means Korean market. It's a huge Korean grocery store and very clean. The produce, meat, and seafood selection is amazing, fresh, and second to none. The prices are amazing as well. It's worth the trip if you haven't been there. We go there every two weeks. There are two in the Duluth area and there is one opening up next to Brandsmart on 285.

Please tell them Soojpudge sent you so I can get my commission check. Thanks.

They are also opening one on Lawrenceville-Suwanee road in Suwanee. Not sure when they projected open date is though.

My liitle fish has ick !:sad: He was fine this morning. I went to check on him this evening and there are several spots on him and he is scratching on the sand. Can a fish that young be freshwater dipped? How young is a one inch hippo tang anywat? Does anyone know?

Sheryle:sad:

Priceless!

Did I see you last week next to the coconuts? I was the person with the tofu!

Soojpudge;198365 wrote: Please tell them Soojpudge sent you so I can get my commission check. Thanks.

Back