Help picking a Skimmer

Here's another option:

a>

wbholwell;91112 wrote: You were probably looking at the recirculating model. The NW150 is $156 and the NW110 is $125

You are correct. I was looking at the other one.

I think it is going to be between the DAS and the octopus 150. Is the DAS really worth the extra cash? The bio load really isn't going to be heavy. Maybe 4 small fish total and a clean up crew. Looking to keep soft and hard corals also.

You're setting up a 30 gal w/ a 10 gal sump, and planning on keeping hard corals, right? SPS, or LPS? What kind of lighting?

I would be a little concerned about heat build-up in a tank that size. For this reason, I would go with a nice recirculating skimmer plumbed outside the tank like the DAS EX-1. Tee off the drain from the tank, and you won't even need a supply pump to feed water to the skimmer.

I have a 150 watt sunpod light. I have been watching the temperature pretty close since I set it up about a week ago and so far been good. I have one hydor 1 powerhead, my return pump which is a quiet one 2200, my heater, and the css 65 in there right now and the temp is staying around 78-80.

I like the teeing off idea because I think I could place the skimmer on top of my sump with a piece of plexiglass. But would the drain pressure be enough for the DAS EX-1?

It depends on how much your overflow has going through it. I think the DAS would be best, but I could be biased since I have a Deltec and DAS's are based on older Deltec technology.

SparksFly;91151 wrote: How can you figure out how much water is going though your overflow?

It's easier to calculate how much water is being pumped by your return pump. They are equal, of course. There's a flow calcualtor online somewhere that will take into account head losses as well as friction losses.

I used the one on reef central and it said around 350. But I have the ball valve turned down a little so I think its around 300 maybe.

I guess the issue would be keeping heat down. But I am not sure if the DAS can be tee'd off my drain line. I don't know if 275-325 gph is strong enough for it. And if its not strong enough then I guess the issue would be the difference in price.

Most recirculating skimmer manufacturers recommend a flow rate of 1 to 1.5 times your total tank volume. So I'd say you're ok.

If I tee off from the drain wouldn't it cut the gph down even more since all the water isn't going into the skimmer?

Could I hook up the DAS right to my drain and let the tank drain into the skimmer then from the skimmer to the sump?

I think you'll need to tee off from the drain- otherwise you'll have too much flow going to your skimmer. You probably don't want more than 100 gph going through the skimmer.

The EX-1 is an excellent recommendation. Another to look at is H&S. They have smaller needlewheel in-sump and external skimmers that would be a good fit for your situation. They are a bit more than the DAS but are built a bit sturdier.

http://www.finsreef.com/product.php?productid=16456&cat=253&page=1">http://www.finsreef.com/product.php?productid=16456&cat=253&page=1</a>

[IMG]http://www.finsreef.com/product.php?productid=16141&cat=254&page=1">http://www.finsreef.com/product.php?productid=16141&cat=254&page=1</a>

The AM Turboflotors are also very good skimmer and would be a good fit for your setup. Get the Multi, though! It's a much more versatile skimmer. I've found it very convenient to just hang them on the sump. They take up less real estate in the sump than a traditional in sump skimmer (you'll just need to find room for the pump) and, at the same time, they take up much less room in the stand than the external skimmers (which is always a problem on smaller tanks).

I measured the stand and I have enough room to put the DAS EX-1 on top of the sump or in the sump. Now I have to figure out how to put the tee in my drain line. From the bulkhead it makes a 90 degree then has a ball valve then goes into flex tubing all the way to my bulkhead on the sump. Any Suggestions????

Back