HELP! Power outtage protection!

ericmcj31

Market
Reaction score
Our power went out tonight-and well, it came back on, and it seem that I had a little too much water in my 100--the drains apparently drained more water than my sump could hold--so--I'm pretty sure at least a gallon or two got on the floor-beyond that, is just a guess-? My question-what would make the most sense?? build my sump bigger (taller)? or drill into it with an emergency overflow pipe drained into like a bucket or something-? Or do you guys have a better idea?

Do you have a syphon break installed in your return? In most systems, the return plumbing only has a gallon or two you have to worry about. If your sump can't hold that amount, I would suggest a new sump. You can drill a hole at the top and run a drain line outside or to some other container, but this will likely be a bigger pain in the long run than just upping the sump size.

as Cameron said, make sure that your siphon break isn't clogged and also make sure that your return spout doesn't go into your water too much (depending upon system). you might be able to drill another siphon break.

McLovin, can you simply lower the water level in your sump to accomodate the draining water? If not, are the teeth in your overflow clogged? When mine gets clogged, it slightly raises the water level of the tank, resulting in more drainage when the main pump is turned off.

If your tank is not RR and you have a stand-alone overflow box on the tank, just adjust the overflow box to it's lowest (height-wise) setting.

This will reduce the volume of water that gets dumped into your sump if your siphon breaks aren't working during power outtages.

well-I worked with it for a while today, and got everything worked out--dry-tested and does good-siphon breaks in place now, and re-plumbed everything--my only complaint-my 2-1'' pipes STILL won't keep up with the Mag 12 at (when opened at full force)-other than that-I'm happy with it-

If its not to late put one way valves in the pump.My sump will fill to the tip top and the one way keeps the pump water from comming into the sump. Its the water in the pump lines that will overflow my sump.

Check valves... very bad idea. They fail and when they do... ouch!

it'snever too late-I can always go and cut into stuff and everything--but are you talking about a backflow or "check" valve? If so, there were some people talking about that not being a good idea-but mine doesn't overflow even without that backflow-but is that what you're talking about?

Back flow, check valves all the same thing and all generally speaking bad idea. Mojo I believe has one scenario but I still think there is a better way around it.

Once you have syphon break installed in your line and you don't overflow when those hit, that is all I would do.

yep--that's all I've got now--we turned the power off to "test" it-and I actually had about 2'' of sump space before it reached the top-

yep-just keep my siphon breaks cleaned out-and I'm good to go--I cleaned the tank up a pretty good bit too-salt creep, algae, etc.-looks nice-

Back