Help, Purigen Mistake, advice if you have it.

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
I found Purigen at Petsmart, a few of the more knowledgable members use it, thought I'd try it in my sump. I put it ina fine mesh bag that I'm guessing wasn't fine enough (the grain size on this product is like sand) and now I have Purigen granules floating around my display.

Is this stuff going to kill my clowns? Hopefully it will filter out of the tank as i just inserted temporary floss in the sump, and a doubled filter bag ( think filter sock) on my drain to the sump.

Should I do more than wait now?

Thanks, any help from folks who've used this product and knowledgable about it would be greatly appreciated!

I had the same thing happen to me in my nano, nothing died and worked itself out. Good Luck:)

Purigen is a plastic. It's inert and will not degrade in your tank, not will it harm anything.

Purigen is listed as a polymer and not as plastic as far as I know. All plastics are polymers but not all polymers are plastics.

Personally, I'm not sold on the stuff... I used it for a lil while, but recharging it with bleach doesn't appeal to me and I couldn't detect what difference it made... :(

I'll tell ya Jin, it's a lot less appealling to me right now too.

I bought two really nice Onyx Percs from Rhomer and as beautiful as they are, they eat like tapeworms with fins. I also have a Suncoral that requires me to overfeed the tank a little (more than I like). I'd heard some "Olds Salts" in the group were using it, so I thought I'd try it. Wow, putting stuff in the tank is a whole lot easier than getting it back out again, lol. I'll have this stuff in the water colume everytime the substrate is disturbed.

I'll save it for emergency use, but thats only after I find two micron bags, and then double them to keep this stuff in place.

I need to find some Micron Socks. Who sells them. Ok, who sells them and the price wont rip me a new one? Thats a better question.LOL

FutureInterest;86763 wrote: Purigen is listed as a polymer and not as plastic as far as I know. All plastics are polymers but not all polymers are plastics.

Personally, I'm not sold on the stuff... I used it for a lil while, but recharging it with bleach doesn't appeal to me and I couldn't detect what difference it made... :(

A quote from Brian Baker, Seachem Sales Rep, "You HAVE to use the right size bag with purigen, unless you want a bunch of tiny plastic balls floating around in your tank". He may have used plastic incorrectly, but that's the info I'm relying on.

Purigen is great for water clarity. Think of it like a carbon that doesn't add phosphate or remove trace elements. It's a macroporous media designed to catch larger organics, and ignore smaller trace elements. Bleaching it just removes the organics, clearing out the pores, so it can be reused.

Filter socks are great, I clean them out every two days though.......

Dakota, I can sell you one for $5 at the next meeting. I have 8 new ones sitting in my car. 100 micron

Could you sell me 2 for $10? I'm accustomed to washing/trying one while using the other...... Did that for years with the Magnum Micron filters.

Thank you!

Back