Help - spot on shoulder of tang

twocute2b4u

Market
Reaction score
I bought this powder brown tang last week, I don't recall seeing the spot on him prior to today. Would someone shed some light on what this may be. He has been eating well and continually eats nori all day. I am attaching a picture.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Denise
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Looks like a fungus almost. pm some sponsors on there opinions on it and meds

Heater burn? I've seen that before, but pretty certain that in you're tank, the heater is not in the main display tank.

That is possible seeing that I have 2 anemone's in the tank and a large size of frogspawn. I also have a tube anemone, which I understand is known to sting quite well.

Would there be a way to tell whether its fungus or a sting?

Dakota, yeah, the heater is in the sump. This guy is very active and getting along with all of the tank mates so I am hoping that he is okay. I'd appreciate some sponsor feedback as well like Smoothie suggested.

I am guessing this fish did not get quarantined. That looks like the start of a lesion to me, which indicates either uronema or brookynella, IMO. Both are nasty, and will most likely need treatment. It is slightly possible the fish can fish it off itself, but more than likely not. They are both very contagious and very lethal. Can you get a better picture?

The fish did not get quarantined :-( As far as the picture, let me see if I can get something better. Can I treat this with something?

I've attached some more pictures, I hope these help a bit. Again I appreciate the help.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

If it were me, I would formalin dip this fish. It is a specific procedure and is pretty harsh, but is effective. At the very least, I would freshwater dip the fish, but formalin would be my first choice. Following the dosing directions for formalin, use tank water for the dip (discarded afterwards), and keep the dip water HEAVILY aerated.

Because I don't have formalin on hand, I could use the freshwater option at the very least. For a fresh water dip I would bring the temp of the freshwater to the temp of the tank and dip and remove? If that is the procedure you recommend, how long would I leave him in the freshwater before removing and putting back in the tank?

I would leave him in as long as he will tolerate. Ive done in for near an hour once. You want to match pH too.

I've never done it, but I've done some reading on it... apparently tangs will tend to lie on the bottom of the dip container and "play dead", making some people panic and cut the dip short, reducing its effectiveness. There are some good threads on here giving explicit instructions if you search for them.

Alright, here we go. I think the last question that i have is how will I know when he can no longer tollerate it? I know I can do a search, however I just dont have the time at the moment.

twocute2b4u;354873 wrote: Alright, here we go. I think the last question that i have is how will I know when he can no longer tollerate it? I know I can do a search, however I just dont have the time at the moment.

I've read ten minutes is the norm, but I'll defer to those more experienced for the final word.

10 minutes. I may be wrong but I think Jeremy was referring to an hour for a Formalin dip - an hour in freshwater would be too much.

Could the other tang have impaled the PB? I've seen tangs stick each other with their scalpels... if that's the case and the wound became infected, that's also a possibility.

Jenn

Formalin would probably be for 30 minutes to and hour, an hour being the max. You need to match pH and temp for freshwater. If just doing the Formalin dip just use tank water.

Ive done an hour for freshwater. My formalin dips are SHORT. Formalin is a VERY caustic substance, and will agitate the fish excessively.

I put a maroon clown in freshwater dip once (treating for brook), and wanted to leave it in as long as possible, so I watched and watched and watched. Then I got preoccupied with something else (it was when I worked at a LFS in NY), and when I remembered about the fish, it was over an hour later. The clown was swimming around like nothing was wrong.

You see some distress in the fish when its been "too long". The fish will swim poorly, not react to stimulus properly, will have poor respiration, etc.

Wow - I've never gone that long on a FW dip. 10, maybe 15 mins if I got distracted.

I do know that too short a FW dip (ie for trematodes) is ineffective - I haven't pushed the limits of "too long".

Good to know that they can tolerate longer.

Jenn

Back