help what is this on top of my water.

mapleredta

Market
Reaction score
tank.jpg
alt="" />
And how do I get rid of it?

you need a surface skimmer, or place a power head closer to the surface to break up the residue

It's normal

...Oh, and back about a month ago when I was having all the trouble with tank lights and an undiscovered voltage leak, I had this thick, mutant surface crude that even the surface skimmer of my Prizm could not break up. I took a wisk and had to wisk the surface of the tank for about 2 minutes just so all the crude would flow into the skimmer....

If you do this, make sure you've properly scared the fish first so they wont come to the surface.

Do you have an in-tank skimmer? Most skimmers offer a surface skimmer attachment....

Its not only ugly, but its preventing good oxygen exchange at the surface

I've also got the Aqua C Remora, just order a surface skimmer box for it. Its actually a surface skimmer, and bubble reducer in one..... Pricey in MHO, but worth it

U got protein! YOu need a surface skimmer or at least a a power head to disturb the surface to get it back into solution so that it can be skimmed out. A good idea to get the surface broken to get the co2 out of the water.

i have the same thing also but no mater what it wont go away. i have 2 of my pumps at the top and it wont go away. any advice. i guess this is not hijacking since it is the same thing.

What are you guys feeding your fish? I made my own food once, that was high in oil due to the salmon i put in the food. I just started feeding them other foods and haven't had the problem since. Switched to a combination of flake foods, cyclopese, and arctipods. Good luck.

The best thng I have found so far to remove surface film is the surface fed filter made by Tunze. It mounts inside the tank and has a slot that the surface water flows into, then over filter floss and a bag of carbon and then down to the pump. It flows about 210 GPH.

It will clear the surface of my 30 in about a minute. It doesn't leave enopugh surface film to even form so much as a bubble against the glass on the surface.

If you can work it into your setup, I'm pretty sure that you'd be impressed with it.

I used to do my water changes by lying a specimen cup on its side and slowly lowering it into the water to pull the surface film into the cup so I could remove it. It helped a lot. Good luck.

If anyone is interested, I can post a quick fix for surface film that will work with most any HOB filter, using only a gravel cleaner (vacuum) tube and a pair of scissors..... Takes 5 minutes to make, but would take me 30 minutes of typing to explain. If interested post here, I'll explain it in a new thread.

Back