Help with biocube 29 mods

johnr2604

Market
Reaction score
O.K it looks like the nano section is slim to nill here:sad: I have just recently got back into saltwater after 10 years. I have just set up a biocube 29. I have been doing research on this all in one for what I should do with the filter.

Looks like the standard mods are to remove the bioballs and add liverock in second chamber. Widen the overflow from chamber 1 to chamber 2. Remove stock pad and add skimmer, Remove or push down floor of chamber 1 to make room for heater.

So my first question is. What skimmer should I use. I have read poor reviews on the biocube skimmer. What does everybody think? Is their another skimmer that works well that I could fit in chamber 1. I dont want one in the tank.

My next question is. What does everybody use for mechanical filtration. I have read that alot of people ditch the mechanical in lue of a skimmer. Do they keep the sponge between chamber 2 and 3? Should I be using mechanical filter media in another chamber such as on top of drip tray?

Last but not least is about water movement. What would be a good setup? I have been looking into the hydor korilla and the hydor rotating deflector for the outlet of the filter. What are you sugestions?

Any other mods I should look at doing?

johnr2604;145930 wrote: O.K it looks like the nano section is slim to nill here:sad: I have just recently got back into saltwater after 10 years. I have just set up a biocube 29. I have been doing research on this all in one for what I should do with the filter.

Looks like the standard mods are to remove the bioballs and add liverock in second chamber. Widen the overflow from chamber 1 to chamber 2. Remove stock pad and add skimmer, Remove or push down floor of chamber 1 to make room for heater.

So my first question is. What skimmer should I use. I have read poor reviews on the biocube skimmer. What does everybody think? Is their another skimmer that works well that I could fit in chamber 1. I dont want one in the tank.

My next question is. What does everybody use for mechanical filtration. I have read that alot of people ditch the mechanical in lue of a skimmer. Do they keep the sponge between chamber 2 and 3? Should I be using mechanical filter media in another chamber such as on top of drip tray?

Last but not least is about water movement. What would be a good setup? I have been looking into the hydor korilla and the hydor rotating deflector for the outlet of the filter. What are you sugestions?

Any other mods I should look at doing?

some people change out the return pump and add more pcs or change the light all together.

Check out http://www.nano-reef.com">www.nano-reef.com</a>

There's a ton of info there.

CGill311;145941 wrote: Check out http://www.nano-reef.com">www.nano-reef.com</a>

There's a ton of info there.[/QUOTE]Thats where I have done most of my research. Just wanting to see what everyone says here.

Bear in mind that our nano forum is brand new and was added only recently. You can tell by the date of the very first thread how new it is.

It's understandable that it'll take awhile for this forum to build.

John....I have used the sapphire skimmer on my 24 jbj and did great. Check em out

I have a BC14 and I did all the little mods that you talked about and added the Biocube Oceanic Skimmer. I have had more success w/it than it sounds like others have, but it took a long time to dial it in and get it working right (almost a month of daily tinkering). Also if you widden the overflow from the 1st to the 2nd chamber the skimmer will have to be hung with the suction cups which are a little weak IMOP.
I would replace the stock return pump and use a MJ900 or MJ1200.
I cut a piece of filter floss and put it over ther drip tray in the second chamber to help remove large particles from the water. I also put carbon, Phosguard, and Purigen in the second chamber w/the rock.
Sorry that this is long and not in any order, but if you have any questions PM and I will try and answer them as best I can. Enjoy the new tank and welcome back to the hobby.

So on the chemical media you use do you put it on top of the liverock or under in the 2nd chamber.

I have a 24g aquapod...so a bit different configuration.

I did toss the sponges. I do use one on rare occasions but I never leave it in.

For skimmer, I use the red sea prism skimmer. Not the best but it works okay.

I drilled mine for a second return pump. in retrospect, I wouldn't do it again. I have two little powerheads in there that give plenty of flow.

You might want to look at lights. That's where most of the all-in-ones lack. I have an open top with a clip on MH lamp.

Truth of the matter is that besides the flow, lights and skimmer, there's not too much to do for these. They work great for the size.

Oh yeah, I did make a mag frag rack to keep my little frags off of the sand bed.

You can see my tank here:
showthread.php

Thanks for the replies. I am mainly looking for different filter configurations. Like who is using what in what chambers. And what skimmer setup everyone is having good success with. Such as, it seams alot of people use a larger skimmer that is made for the 2nd chamber. some people use the tiny less efficient skimmers in the first. Which is better? To have a better skimmer in the second chamber or use a less efficient skimmer (that still skims) in the first and use the second chamber for liverock or even possibly a refugium.

I have also been looking at lighting options such as the sunpod. All things in due time I guess. I will start running the tank with stock lighting, so for right now I am focusing on getting the best water quality possible using the rescorces at hand.

nano skimmers, IMO, are pretty worthless. There are two main factors that figure into the efficiency of a skimmer:

1. Bubble Size
2. Contact Time

Since space is limited in a nano set up, regardless of how fine the bubbles are, without proper contact time, you won't get a dark goop.

The placement of the skimmer shouldn't matter since all of your "surface skimmed" water comes through the filtration compartments. If you really want to add a skimmer to your nano set up, i'd get the biggest one i could fit into any compartment.

IMO, modifying the nano and plumbing a sump in line would be the BEST thing you can do. you will not only add more space for equipment (such as skimmers, mechanical filters, chemical filters, refugiums, etc.) but the added water volume would help with temp, ph, alk, calcium, mg (water parameter) fluctuations.

weekly water changes will benefit your tank more than any filtration equipment you can add. on my old 12G nano cube set up i changed 3-4 gallons weekly.

I have a 29 gallon Biocube and the only mods that I did to mine were I tossed out the stock filter cartridge and use a piece of filter floss on top of the drip tray in chamber 2 and change that out every 2-3 days. I put Purigen and Chemi-pure Elite in chamber 3. In chamber one I have the Biocube skimmer and a 100w stealth heater. I added two Koralia 1 powerheads to the display for more flow. I do weekly 5 gallon water changes. That's about it!

wrasse14.jpg
alt="" />

xokarmaxo;146299 wrote: I have a 29 gallon Biocube and the only mods that I did to mine were I tossed out the stock filter cartridge and use a piece of filter floss on top of the drip tray in chamber 2 and change that out every 2-3 days. I put Purigen and Chemi-pure Elite in chamber 3. In chamber one I have the Biocube skimmer and a 100w stealth heater. I added two Koralia 1 powerheads to the display for more flow. I do weekly 5 gallon water changes. That's about it!

wrasse14.jpg
alt="" />
nice tank

O'K I have decided to remove the false foor in chamber 1(to clear my 150w stealth). And do a fuge coversion to the second chamber with a submersable pond light. I will probably start off runing carbon in the third and see how well the cheato takes care of any phosphates. I think I am also going to get the hydor powerhead.

I might cave and give and upgrade the light to either a viper or do a 70w retrofit kit in the hood. Will I be happy with the 70w? or do I need a 150? The reason I am leaning more toward the 70w is I dont want any heating issues. I am trying to keep this tank somewhat budget and streamlined. I dont want it to look like I have a cryogenics lab attached to my tank in the middle of my living room. I just want to be able to keep more of a variety of corals.

My biocube 29 has been very successfull for the past year with these mods:
remove bioballs and filter-put Saphire skimmer in middle compartment, fits great & works good. I run no filter, just over 30 lbs of live rock biological filtration and rubble rock in first compartment. Nanotuners light kit-doubles pc light output- fairly easy to install. Added mj900 with mod kit-incredble output (almost too much for tank, position carefully) - cheapest way to move water.
Nanotuners.com is great source for most all you need and they are helpful over the phone.

Thanks, I have looked into nanotuners but have read were people have had overheat issues but wondering if this is do to ambient room temp or what.So you have had success with them?

I am actually going to give the biocube skimmer a try so I can do the refugium in the 2nd chamber. Havn't heard really good reviews on it but its cheap fits in first chamber and I plan on having a low fish load and stay on top of water changes.

As for water movement I'm going to get an internal powerhead and keep the pump stock for now. I am trying to keep the water movement down in the refugium and chemical media

LOL I'm sure there will be many different combinations I will end up trying. Who am I kidding.:)

i also have a 29 gallon biocube that I have done a few things with. I took needle nose pliers and removed a small section from the grating so that the heater now fits in this chamber. Occasionally I place a small bag of carbon next to the heater for a few days as needed. I removed the drip tray and the bioballs from the second chamber and replaced with live rock and chaeto. I added a clip on light that is adjustable so that i have a fudge. This works well to keep the algae growing in this chamber and not in the tank. I also placed the thermometer in this section. I also removed the sponge and fill the back chambers completely. This allows for a gallon or two of extra water and eliminates the constant dripping sound. Parameters are all perfect and corals all look good. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Back