Help with evaporation

sergio706

Supporting
Reaction score
Could anybody help me reduce evaporation on a hood less biocube,maybe tips to help thanks !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Unless you put a top on it there is no way to stop evaporation. The dryer it is out and the more you have the heat running will make it evap more.
The only thing I can suggest is get a bigger ATO container.

What is it you are looking for? Is it something to alleviate the need to top off yourself? Unfortunately, we all deal with evaporation and it's worse during the winter months when humidity is low. If so there are many ato alternatives that will fit your needs.

You think a glass lid would be good?

Bcavalli;1102206 wrote: What is it you are looking for? Is it something to alleviate the need to top off yourself? Unfortunately, we all deal with evaporation and it's worse during the winter months when humidity is low. If so there are many ato alternatives that will fit your needs.
Yes maybe a glass I can put on top but I'm not sure where I can get a glass with the exact size.

The only issue with that is you will need to keep the glass / acrylic clean in order to get the right amount of light. I tried that with my frag tank and realized it gets a salt build up really fast.

Sergio706;1102208 wrote: Yes maybe a glass I can put on top but I'm not sure where I can get a glass with the exact size.

Her is the glass company that I have used in the past. They are very reasonable and can do I think within a day or so.

Diamond glass company

170 Kimball Bridge Road

Alpharetta, Georgia 30009

Phone: 770-475-3468

What kind of glass do you get from there?

Just about any type you could need. I had a 48" x 9" with a 1/4" thick beveled edged cut for $60.

Also you can't completely cover the top or there'll be no gas exchange. CO2 will build up... Your best bet is a good ato setup.

The other potential issue is temperature. A glass lid will insulate and your temperature might come up.

Evaporation is normal and yes, it's more when the relative humidity is lower. Cost of doing business with any tank.

Keep an eye on your specific gravity too.

Jenn

I made myself a lid from thick acrylic but it would warp and I would have to flip it. I just covered the front so fish couldn't go carpet surfing and left the chambers uncovered. As stated you need to keep it clean which was about a weekly occurrence for me because of salt creep.

Back