Help with Flow suggestions for a frag tank

bcavalli

Market
Reaction score
I have a 48 x 18 x 8 rimless frag tank with an overflow box in the corner and side drilled. The frag tank will be hard plumbed into my existing system with my return running about 1500 gph. No sand or live rock just acrylic racks or egg crate. The frag tank will be sitting along side my DT.

Now my question is how many power heads should I run in the tank? Should I use something like a Jaebo RW8 and call it a day or would I be better off putting in two smaller power heads like the WP 10s and running them with a dual controller?

Also, should I consider getting a bigger return pump? My DT is about 4 feet up from my sump room.

Im always open to suggestions on saving money or going another brand. What do you think?

More power heads lower volume= less dead spots... 1 large power head= still has dead spots...

I think your right two small versus 1 large powerhead. Ill be keeping just about everything as a grow and frag area.

As far as the return pump ideally I want 20 to 30 times volume right? Ill have to calculate it and see where Im with the additional loss of flow with the addition.

Any recommendations for a different return pump? Im currently using a Quiet one pro 5000.

Back