Help with Heat....

darren24

Market
Reaction score
My 60g is up and running. It is a 60g rimless with an open top canopy. At the top of the canopy about 9 inches from the water I have a new Radion LED mounted. I use a Vortech 10 and a mag 7 for a return. The room temp stays around 77-78 (I have a room thermometer) and the thermostat is set at 76.My tank temp stays around 82. I have a good friend who says it is the Mag. I trust him but wanted to get any other input before I order a new return pump. Also please let me know what pumps run the "coolest". Thanks! :)

I would first double and even triple check my DT thermometer reading before doing anything.

Mag pumps tend run hot. If your looking for an alternative the Jaebo DC or better yet the Jaebo DCT pumps are amazing.

like everyone has said, Mags run really hot. If your DT temperature is correct, that's the reason.

I have the same set up - however I have 2 mp10, a kesill and use an eheim 1262 as a return and have no heat issues. Tank stay around 78.5 all day

Wow they are proud of those Eheim's ($). I am going to get a new tank thermometer first. Good suggestions everyone!

Darren I would agree with everyones statement about the heat distribution with Mag pumps. That's why I only use them now for mixing salt or water changes. They just run to HOT!!

Dump the mag. There's a ton of decent pumps that run cool. Danner mag is not one of them!

I'll look in my stash and see if I have something that'll work. Free for you.

Darren24;1046956 wrote: Wow they are proud of those Eheim's ($). I am going to get a new tank thermometer first. Good suggestions everyone!
They are proud of those custom paint jobs on new Camaros too!:D

Grouper yes I was told by someone who DOES NOT paint cars it would run around 10k. I am hoping to find less than that. If anyone has any knowledge of a ballpark price please let me know. I am looking (and I hate to say it) for the Ford Grabber Blue body with 2 white stripes from bumper to bumper like I have now.

DSC_0003_zpsggmoyy8q.jpg
alt="" />

2015-04-26%20005_zpsudbgcktq.jpg
alt="" />

Paint on a car like that is not something to skimp on. Find some one who does quality work regularily and visually check reference. Finding that guy is going to cost you. At minimum, here 15k. I paid 25 for my 64 vette, granted some was on account that it's entirely fiberglass and 50 some years old provided some small challenges.

Consider wrapping it.

On my chevelle I had a brand new paint job of which I grew tired of. Since that paint was also super expensive instead of stripping it and redoing I wrapped the car. Which in context is $2000 for a cheapie ( not recommended ) and $5,000 done perfectly.

As a bonus, color I like for now. Grow bored or want to sell and I have a brand new paint job protected beneath the wrap.

Bcavalli;1046928 wrote: Mag pumps tend run hot. If your looking for an alternative the Jaebo DC or better yet the Jaebo DCT pumps are amazing.

+1 here. Switched from a Mag12 to a DC12000 and dropped temp in the tank by 2 degrees. Mags run hot, I use my old mag for salt mixing to mix and bring temp up :D

A small clip on fan can make a big difference, over the sump. It will increase evaporation but it will drop a tank a couple of degrees.

Jenn

They run hot but I'll just add another fan to the set up. You will not beat the mag pumps for reliability and they last for ever. I'll never use anything but a mag. I have a mag 18 on my 120. I have 4 fans. 2 in the canopy and 2 in the sump. I run 250 halides and I see 82 degrees on hot days but no big deal.

bcavalli;1046928 wrote: mag pumps tend run hot. If your looking for an alternative the jaebo dc or better yet the jaebo dct pumps are amazing.

+100

Darren24;1046921 wrote: My 60g is up and running. It is a 60g rimless with an open top canopy. At the top of the canopy about 9 inches from the water I have a new Radion LED mounted. I use a Vortech 10 and a mag 7 for a return. The room temp stays around 77-78 (I have a room thermometer) and the thermostat is set at 76.My tank temp stays around 82. I have a good friend who says it is the Mag. I trust him but wanted to get any other input before I order a new return pump. Also please let me know what pumps run the "coolest". Thanks! :)

Remember that NIB Quiteone 3000 I bought from you? That's a great, low heat, reliable pump.

On my last build I had a Mag 9.5 and couldn't keep the heat down. Swapped it for a Quiteone 4000 (on sale for $40) and never looked back!

I hate Mag pumps for a lot of reasons. Heat is definitely one. I think you'll drop at least 2 degrees replacing it with something like an Ehiem 1262

Nothing wrong with mag pumps. All I ever use and I've never had heat issues.
I currently have a mag 18 on my 120g. I don't run the ac in my house unless the temp outside hits 90 plus and I have a 10 clip on fan(purchased from Walmart) that blows on the surface of my tank. It generally runs about 78 degrees(I prefer) it has occasionally reached 80.

Back