Help with Return Pump Decision?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I've been reading about return pumps that will meet the requirements of my 120G system with basement sump and have narrowed it down to 4, Iwaki MD55RLT, Gen-X PCX-55HP, Pan World 150PS, and Sequence Tarpon. The specs for these four are vary similar even though there is a fairly wide price range. Have any of you had good or bad experiences with any of these?

My vote out of that group is the Sequence Tarpon. I have not used the Tarpon but I have used other Sequence Pumps and they were awesome. Their customer service is incredible as well.

im with sammy bud they are great and low on energy compaired to other makes and they are quite you dont even know if they are working

I agree with the Sequence, I just placed a Hamerhead on my basement sump. I placed a valve so I could control the amount of flow. Very powerful for the amount of electric it uses, I have a pan world 150 on my cl and it is quit and strong also.

Iwaki will last forever

The Sequence pumps I have seen are very quiet and I have heard good things about them.

What is the power consuption on each of those?

I've owned several Iwaki's, a Gen-X, 5 Sequence pumps, as well as some other odds and ends. I like the sequence hands down for servicability, support, quietness, and efficiency. They won't be more efficient than a http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=29_137_356">Red Dragon</a>, but IMO, they're some of the best you can get.

Like Sammy, I haven't actually used a Tarpon, but I've had very good luck with their entire range of pumps, and since they share parts across pumps, I would expect the quality to be just as good.

I do have three SEQ3200's that I use for various things, including a return from my basement- you might want to consider that model over the Tarpon...

Actually, weren't you interested in coming to see my setup anyway? PM me...

Thanks for all the inputs, it looks like it is down to the Iwaki or Sequence. Figures since they are the more expensive ones. It's pretty much a draw between the two for power consumption, Iwaki @ 184W and the Sequence @ 175W. The Sequence has a three year warranty vs only one year on the Iwaki.

Budsreef;127222 wrote: Figures since they are the more expensive ones.

You get what you pay for! I'd say the power draw difference is negilible at that point- 9 watts will be made up in differences in plumbing, head pressure, etc...

im with mojo on this one bud you do get what you pay for .....seq.makes a great pump man it will out last an iwaki and you will not here it ......ive seen the iwaki in some ones house cant remember who and it sounded horrible .....just bite the bullet man you'll be happy you did

Thanks for all the inputs. I ordered the Sequence Tarpon this afternoon.

Back