help with zoa toxin

ldybkr

Market
Reaction score
I put some zoas in on Sunday after mcna. Only two opened. This morning my clowns and goby are breathing hard. I did a 20 percent water change and had to leave for work. Do you think the zoas are dying and releasing toxins into the water? I had just done a water change Sunday.

Unless you have a Nano I doubt any toxins released from the zoas would cause any problems. Anything else changed? How's your O2 exhange? Fish gasping usually is realated to O2 content. Zoas can take a while to open up, esp in a new environment. Keep us updated!

I had them in the 24 gal aquapod but now I moved into the 120 gal.

No it has a lid. Other than tha water change is there anything else I can do? I don't want the tank to crash and that was the only new addition.

There must be something else going on, I don't think zoas are the issue. Have you tested the water lately? Post up the numbers if you get a chance.

I had to leave the house. Will try to leave work early. Thanks for your help.

ammonia? if the zoas are dying, they can craete ammonia, and that burns the gills.

I added alittle bit of Prime before I left. Will see how they look when I get home.

LDYBKR;215625 wrote: No it has a lid. Other than tha water change is there anything else I can do? I don't want the tank to crash and that was the only new addition.
How well doees the lid fit, could you post few pix? What kind of water flow does the tank have?

When I got home, the clowns were laboring, I tested the water, the pH was way low, did a water change, adjusted one of the power heads towards the top of the water and everything is the tank is fine now. Think my shrimp will eat his goby?

Went to bed to wake up with two dead clowns. Aneome sad looking and the goby came out of his hole. Another water change done changed carbon and purigen. Bad way to start my day.

So sorry, that really sucks! I know you've been doing waterchanges, but have you tested it? Something serious is going wrong and I doubt that it was dying zoas unless you had a ton of them.

LDYBKR;217135 wrote: Went to bed to wake up with two dead clowns. Aneome sad looking and the goby came out of his hole. Another water change done changed carbon and purigen. Bad way to start my day.

The ph was way low. I put in the new zoa and another softie. The are two anenomes in there and last night I fed them silversides for the first time.

About 40 polyps of my tubs blues died in my 30 gallon and nothing happened, so I'm sure that something else is going wrong.

Am I bioloaded and if I need to add an airstone. I need to know what to get and how to do it.

I'd start with a complete test of your water. You mention PH being low, but what is Temp, SG, Amm, Nitrite and Nitrate? If you don't have test kits, take a sample to one of the LFSs and I'm sure they will test it for you. It's hard to reccommend anything in particular without understanding what you are dealing with.

It was my mistake and I feel terrible about it. I added too much calcium to the tank which I didn't know would drop my ph and when I tried to correct the ph. I did it too fast. I feel awful about my mistake and I will admit that I cry over my fish. I learned a very important lesson. Unfortunately it was at the expense of my fish.

low pH is a direct consequence of increased pCO2 in the water column... Think more along the lines of why your tank might have accumulated CO2... Did you add a lot of bicarb to the tank? Does it have a tight lid or glass covers?

It may seem moot at this point, but it would be good to know exactly why this happened to avoid accidentally setting it back up the same conditions in the tank leading to the resulting consequences.

Sorry to hear the fish didn't make it. If the sessile creatures survived, but the more active creatures didn't, this would be another indicator of excess CO2 accumulation, as the more active the specimen is, the more susceptible (generally) the specimen will be to O2 deprivation or CO2 poisoning.

I concur that Zoanthid</em> poisoning is unlikely under the circumstances.

HTH

Sorry to hear about your fish, LDBKR. What form did you add the calcium in?

Glad to have you on our boards, tdwyatt! You gave the chemistry talk at MACNA, right?

Back