Hi, new ARC member, new soft coral tank

Steve Burton

Vice President
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Steve. Been out of the aquarium hobby for a little over 5 years, getting back in now. I have had many freshwater aquariums for many years, but only one very basic fish only salt water tank with an undergravel filter. I'm planning a small soft coral tank with just two clown fish and a Clean-up crew. I have put together a 29 long with 40 pounds of live aragonite sand, about 25 pounds of live rock and dead coral and a fluval 206 canister filter, with a power head for water movement. I used ro water and Instant Ocean salt. The Specifics gravity is 1.022 or 1.024 depending on which hydrometer I use. Temperature stays around 75, heater is not plugged in. It was filled on to 9, 18 days ago, so bot cycled yet. Ph started out about 8.2, but dropped to about 7.9, I got it backup to 8.2 by installing an air stone, but I don't want to continue with an air pump. I think from what I read I would like to get it up to about 8.4 before introducing fish, any suggestions on how I should do that? Any other comments on how to proceed would also be appreciated.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1117731=70766-20170626_104508.jpg
>
1117731=70766-20170626_104508.jpg
class="gc-images" title="20170626_104508.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Welcome to our community. This is the perfect place to ask alot of questions and we will help you as much as we can. First off I would get a few power heads to create circulation in your tank as this will increase your oxygen levels. Keep in mind pH levels (8.1 - 8.4) are just a general number to follow and not imperative for a successful tank. If possible you may want to invest in a refractometer as it will be more accurate in terms of your salinity level.

Later down the road you may want to locate a tank that has an overflow that will drain into a sump that can hold the proper equipment you will want in the future. Canister filters have a tendency to accumulate waste that cause nitrate problems over time.

The key to success in this hobby is maintaining stable parameters such as temperature, salinity, nitrates and phosphates. Before you add any inhabitants your ammonia levels must be at 0 which indicates your cycle has completed.

Make sure you have quality test kits and test often. This will save you alot of trouble in the future.

Thanks. I should have mentioned, there are only two trays of Seachem matrix (one whole bottle, I think 7.1 oz) and the top tray of poly in the canister filter. I intend to clean or change the poly monthly and do a 10 to 15% water change weekly to maintain water quality. My power head is a Maxi-jet 1000, 264 gph, I have plenty of water movement with rippling surface, seems like plenty for air exchange, do you think I should add more? I do have smaller ones, with a different style on the way. My ph question hasn't really been answered though, my past experience suggests that the PH will continually decrease when I add livestock. Should I not be concerned that the water changes will not be enough to keep the PH at the optimum level for soft corals? Seems odd but maybe not, or i would easily find an answer here.

Back