High Alkalinity

fishlips

Market
Reaction score
Been dosing my 120 with acros in it, Just tested,Alk is at 14dkh
Cal at 450,and 1300.I know it got away from me,coral and fish are showing no problems. In fact the acros are growing super. I use a doser. My question is do i lower the amount being pumped in.Or do i shut it off till it reads lower. I don't want a drop to fast.What do you recommend

Thanks,I believe your right.Just did some research,and that will bring it down slowly. I shut it off.That could of went bad.Ithink what saved me, It was a gradual climb and the corals got use to it.

Nice catch! Generally my first indicator of overdosing is a climb in my normal pH levels day to day.

Fishlips;1041289 wrote: Another reason for me to pick up a ph probe.

Seriously a used Apex at around $300 will save your behind more times than you can count (atkeast it has has for me. But, I'm mistake prone lol). Constant pH metering and a million (maybe a thousand) other reasons. Lol

I have had a RKL for many yrs,it works. I just need to order a 39$ probe.

Fishlips;1041292 wrote: I have had a RKL for many yrs,it works. I just need to order a 39$ probe.

Yup that's works (almost) as good. Jk sorry I'm very partial to Apex. :)

If I didn't already have a director for my hydras leds, I would look into a apex. I added a SL2-V2 module witch is fairly new that they came out with.It is an upgrade from the sl2.They had problems with the saltinty port.This is the only reason i keep it.

Fishlips;1041295 wrote: If I didn't already have a director for my hydras leds, I would look into a apex. I added a SL2-V2 module witch is fairly new that they came out with.It is an upgrade from the sl2.They had problems with the saltinty port.This is the only reason i keep it.

As long as the controller meets your needs that's all that matters! I wouldn't be concerned about that, the salinity module on the Apex isn't any better. I would just follow your plan and let it naturally drop to your preferred levels.

Acandoit;1041298 wrote: On another site, there is a thread about using muriatic acid to reduce, with the suggestion of adjusting your water change water to the alk level you want and reducing with the water changes over time.

Thanks,At this point , with the corals showing no signs of any problems, going to let come down on its own.I do 31gal WC every 2 weeks.So i think im going tobe ok.

Been 2 full days without doesing alk. Got it down to 12.6.How low do i go.
Am i looking for 9,or 10.

It should take about 4 days if it continues to go down at that same rate.

Fishlips;1041649 wrote: Been 2 full days without doesing alk. Got it down to 12.6.How low do i go.

what is your usual po4/trates?
any algae issues?

what kit is measuring your alk?

Fishlips;1041649 wrote: Been 2 full days without doesing alk. Got it down to 12.6.How low do i go.

I keep mine steady at 8.1 to 8.8 after daily dosing. It keeps me in the safety zone .

Bcavalli;1041653 wrote: I keep mine steady at 8.1 to 8.8 after daily dosing. It keeps me in the safety zone .

what do your po4 and trates usually test at brett?

Click to open expanded view

QUOTE=Russ-IV;1041651]what is your usual po4/trates?
any algae issues?

what kit is measuring your alk?[/QUOTE]

For my Alk,Cal and Mag, I test with Red sea pro.
For po4,nitrates, have not had any issues, have a worthless kit LOL.Im inthe process of ordering a good kit.

Russ-IV;1041655 wrote: what do your po4 and trates usually test at brett?

I don't test for either nitrates or phosphates unless I see something amiss in my system. I use my refugium as an indicator that phosphates and/or nitrates may be creeping up on me. Then I throw a bag of phosguard in each of my filter socks. Jenn has always preached to me that watching and knowing your tank will always point to issues early on. She's right on point!

Fishlips;1041658 wrote: Click to open expanded view

QUOTE=Russ-IV;1041651]what is your usual po4/trates?
any algae issues?

what kit is measuring your alk?

For my Alk,Cal and Mag, I test with Red sea pro.
For po4,nitrates, have not had any issues, have a worthless kit LOL.Im inthe process of ordering a good kit.[/QUOTE]

i meant what are the numbers that you usually get from whatever kit?

ill try not to sway my opinion on the best kits...

66ar8k.jpg
alt="" />

clearly api is winning

Api when i test with it it always reads 0 on on po4 and nitrates. Thats why im looking into a different one,I like my RS Pro kit For My Alk,Mag,Cal.

Back