High school “ARC 55” Reef

jordanbevis

Market
Reaction score
Hello all! This is the 55 reef that I’ve been working on for the high school for the past year. I’m calling it the “ARC 55” because SO many of you have donated supplies and knowledge to get this tank off the ground! So here’s the basics for those of you who don’t know. This tank came from a teachers grant. They gave her all the supplies she needed, sent it to her all at once, but it was all out of date equipment that wasn’t really graded for SW, especially for a reef tank. We got it up and running, I hadn’t been in the aquarium hobby long, if at all. I remember this teacher had a small pic o tank with some inverts in class that I would take care of time to time, and this tank, along with the class and the teacher herself was what fit me into not only this hobby of fish keeping and reefing, but it made me realize that what I want to do IS in fact what I want to do. (I am currently in school to be a large marine veterinarian.) She has inspired me, and I’m sure countless other students to see and care for animals in a way we could not see before. She teaches honors zoology (this is her favorite) and forensics. She’s the head of the science department at the school, and my all time favorite educator! :) anyways, haha. As you can imagine, the tank slowly but surely crashed with the improper “reef” fish (there was a PORK fish and a RED SNAPPER, and a damsel as the final three) all the fish and inverts arrived at once, there was an under gravel filter and a HOB that I would maybe use on a 30g freshwater planted tank (I know this now but didn’t then). There was no power head that came with it but we got one. No sump. Nada. After the final straw, the tank rested with the proper equipment over the summer. A lot was donated by our lovely members:) there’s a large canister filter, power heads, and still the under gravel filter running over the summer as well as an ATO. Frequent checks were made in the water during the summer, and in August we deemed it ready for fish and coral. We’re slowly adding! (Yay!!) theres a small group of fish now. I believe we have some pajama cardinals, fire fish, and a lawnmower Blenny. There was a small Kole tang and a coral beauty in there that were doing great, but the Ph dropped over break, and they died within a few days of each other? Everything else is doing great though. Oh is back to normal. Coral that we have is thriving. Let’s see, we have Kenya tree, GSP, Xenia, toad stool, zoas, mushrooms, some candy canes, and another leather of a sort. A light was donated to us, and it was working wonderfully, but it quit working I’m taking it home today to see if I can’t figure it out, but she did purchase another light from amazon. It’s an off brand light, however all the specs and reviews check out and it looks really sleek. It’s a hanging light, and we have it set up on a metal fixture right now till we can get some more cable to hang it up with, lol. It’s a Relassy LED coral reef light. It isn’t too big, so there will more than likely need to be another one put on the tank so there’s an even amount of light. There’s major shadowing on either side. Coral seems to be doing fantastic under it. It probably won’t work for more demanding corals (SPS, more demanding LPS) but that shouldn’t be too much of a problem because she really likes the “flowyness” of the softies.That and they’re easier to maintain. An AMAZING sump was also donated, it is a water box sump, I want to say it’s about 40 gallons! I’ve sort of split it and am running a refugium out of one compartment and a sump out of the rest. A skimmer was also donated, along with many other crucial things like plumbing, filter socks, power heads, etc. I’m only not mentioning names because I have awful memory and don’t want to get anything wrong :) so, if you donated something, please give yourself some credit if you would like! You deserve it!!! All parameters well rounded! We’re still needing to stock the tank so there’s more than 4-5 fish, add a screen top, and do the plumbing from the sump to the display. (Were just transferring water via jug as often as possible) questions concerns comments GREATLY appreciated. Thank you to everyone who has been and is involved!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6B702A2F-17AE-4450-9595-75EB463F75CB.jpeg

Attachments

• FC7DD06C-AFE7-4F11-A10B-94EF4A366B17.jpeg
    FC7DD06C-AFE7-4F11-A10B-94EF4A366B17.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • 4FD25EE3-107C-4C79-94DC-030EAE3AAE79.jpeg
    4FD25EE3-107C-4C79-94DC-030EAE3AAE79.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • DAAD4A52-5BB5-49D5-9EA0-B109F59DE5A5.jpeg
    DAAD4A52-5BB5-49D5-9EA0-B109F59DE5A5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • 47E8BA37-DAA3-45C0-9C9E-1BF8F1CF90B9.jpeg
    47E8BA37-DAA3-45C0-9C9E-1BF8F1CF90B9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
  • FD92C1BE-E798-4B66-8086-A23D9B3744EB.jpeg
    FD92C1BE-E798-4B66-8086-A23D9B3744EB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • 03D6F6DF-3E5A-4FFE-9958-B2A41BA8CFCD.jpeg
    03D6F6DF-3E5A-4FFE-9958-B2A41BA8CFCD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • 612D4F09-B3DB-440A-B91F-780CC285CC98.jpeg
    612D4F09-B3DB-440A-B91F-780CC285CC98.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • 1CC9EFFB-BB39-47D3-BEEE-E83579349907.jpeg
    1CC9EFFB-BB39-47D3-BEEE-E83579349907.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 9B1773E4-3A79-4B81-96BE-6E0483BA6F0D.jpeg
    9B1773E4-3A79-4B81-96BE-6E0483BA6F0D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
Great work so far! I’ll offer my 2 cents.

Firstly, and you already know this, you need that screen top. Blennies, Firefish, as well as Gobies, wrasses, and other great species are all jumpers. You can make your own DIY screen top for pretty cheap. There’s a thread conversation on here that outlines how, if you’re interested. However, you could instead get a canopy (see below).

For future livestock; especially because it’s an educational facility, you gotta do a Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp (of any species). Also, a Clownfish or 2; just make sure you get an Occellaris or Percula species. Other clowns get extremely aggressive and some get huge.

For the fish that died; how did the pH drop? What caused it? I’m suspicious if that’s the case, and believe their deaths were likely due to some other factor. I highly recommend further testing and close observation of current living fish.

It took me a while to comprehend what exactly you’re doing. If I follow: you’re occasionally swapping buckets of water between the sump and the display. Is that right? Wow... if so, that’s dedication!!!

Great work getting the sump! Sumps are wonderful. After you find a solution to getting it plumbed into the display; then I would recommend removing the undergravel filter from the display, and move the heaters from the display to the sump. Meanwhile, those heaters can get moved near the side near the power head rather than placing them in the center of view. Also, I personally wouldn’t bother with that hang-on filter in the sump, and just remove it entirely to save energy, reduce sound, and reduce clutter.

Lighting: you already know that you need to double the light length to avoid the spotlight effect. I’ll also add: be wary about Amazon lights and reviews. Many Chinese companies are making crap lights, and faking 100 or so reviews to make claims that they grow corals. If you don’t recognize the brand, use google and look at forums. Fellow reefers from around the world will let you know what’s good. I’m not sure with your brand. For soft corals, some are so darn resilient that only long-term testing of an LED will tell if it’s the right intensity and spectrum, or simply not. If it’s not, these resilient softies can die imperceptibly slow.

General aesthetics: you can get a black poster board from the dollar store, to put behind the back glass with some tape. This will help your colors to pop more and improve the tanks appearance, rather than a clear tank against an off-white school wall.

I would also recommend a canopy if you are able. You can do this instead of the screen top. Canopies will help reduce energy costs, reduce evaporation, protect fish from jumping, preventing glare from the light spilling into the room, as well as improve the appearance of the tank by hiding lighting equipment.

Aquascape: Looks amazing! Make sure that all your rocks are resting on the bottom glass/plastic, and NOT resting on the sand directly. Many fish like to burrow, and this can risk them accidentally crushing themselves.

All in all, you’re doing fantastic! Keep up the good work!

Which high school? I (and maybe others) wouldn’t mind donating some corals and stuff!

You might want to look up a youtube series from Bulkreefsupply called "52 weeks of reefing" it's a series of videos that goes over a lot of info. Some of it could be very educational to your classroom about how things work and why. Lot of science in it especially when they get to the corals and how to care for them. What kind of test kits are you using?

I am excited to share that my tank has some Annelids in the form of Feather Duster worms, as well as some Tube worms, which may be considered pests, but in Zoology class they are awesome examples that we can see first hand during class. We also discovered some small sponges during our observation, which are in the Phylum Porifera, and were able to label our corals which are in the Phylum Cnidaria. I will try to share pictures.

Attachments

• 20191017_113008.jpg
    20191017_113008.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 20
Great pics!

and yeah; the worms and sponges are awesome! We can coordinate soon, and I can donate a piece of a photosynthetic sponge that grows in plating structures and maybe some pulsing Xenia and green Nepthea. They’re all interesting and easy to care for; if you’d like any of them.

We’re in the midst of getting a top put on there, no clue about the PH, but I was thinking the same thing. The other fish look extremely healthy though. And yes, we’re transferring water from sump to tank, lol. The filter on the sump is on a separate compartment really just used for water movement heaters are next to power head, we do need to get another one though just for some counter flow. The power head in there now has a very strong flow. Lighting: I’m still doing research, but so far so good. The par on the light is pretty strong, it just overall looks like it’s going to be a good light but I will do more research before we grab another. All rocks are resting on the bottom :)

I am in need of a light for my reef tank. It is a 55 gallon tank with outside dimensions 49 x 13 in. I found one on Amazon from Fluval but it is $230. Does anyone have suggestions? I need the frame to extend across the tank as I cannot hang it.

I remember donating a led light fixture for this that should extend over the tank on legs. Is it not working? Let me know if its not, I might have something else lying around that could work.

Hopefully Jin can help out!

Otherwise, $230 for a 4 foot LED fixture is suspiciously cheap, in my opinion. At that price point, I would begin to doubt if it would provide proper light. ...Just FYI, because the lights are one of the big investments in starting a tank.

The light quit working! She came into the class one day and said that it smelt like 'a chemical reaction'. I've tried to clean it up some, but it seems like it is beyond repair. :(

Hi @jordanbevis

Unfortunately, I don't have another spare light that would fit this application. However, I did propose to the rest of the BOD that we go ahead and purchase a light for this and we were able to get a majority vote on approval. So I've got a few leads on something that will work for you and will contact you shortly once we finalize the purchase.

Thanks,
Jin

Back