Highend skimmers... Worth it?

harleyguy

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking for a skimmer for my new 93g cube and I am amazed by the range in prices... I have literally found skimmers from $150 - over $1000... What makes the huge difference in price? I want a great skimmer, basically because I believe it is the heart of the system, but if I can get a skimmer that works as well, lasts as loud, and uses the same or less power for way less money then I'm in. With that said I'm really intrigued by the "new" cone skimmers....

Personally if I were to do it again, I would get an MRC one. Well built, quality products built here in Atlanta. After talking to Raj on friday my next tank big will have one of there skimmers no questions asked.

I've had an MRC before, and I guess it's kind of like a car... "Do I really want to by two Vettes in a row?" Oh wait I did that. I would consider the Oceanforce skimmer.

I'm looking as well. As with most products, the name on the label has some extra costs associated with it. A skimmer like BK is well built, but is it any more "well" built that an MRC probably not. But BK carries a premium price for the name and pump.

The latest and must have are cone skimmers. Nothing like keeping up with the Jone's Reef. Do they work better, I think there is some merit to it. Would I see a difference in a 58 gallon tank, initially probably, but it's not worth the extra to me. For 90 plus maybe, yes. BK/Vertex has a new line of cone skimmers out with a great pump on them. Aquarium Specialty and Premium Aquatics have special intro price for them. The are some links and reviews on RC, Reef Builders and Glass Box.

I think the biggest difference is the pump. After spending several hours looking and taking notes I feel that some of the extra costs is a good pump. I feel a pump can make or break the skimmer. JMHO..........

Well, I have found a great deal on a BK mini 200, and the 170 is a good price as well... I'm extremely tempted...

Skimmers vary *greatly* in price and performance.

You get what you pay for. A $100 skimmer is not likely to perform nearly as well as a $250-300 one.

IMO it's one piece of equipment that shouldn't be skimped on. There are plenty of places to trim the budget, but a skimmer isn't one of them.

I have a salvage box of skimmers in my attic to attest to that.

Jenn

I've never used an Octopus... but regardless, I'd say NO.

I confess that 9 years ago I used a VisiJet and a SeaClone... :(

I still have a SeaLife model 75 - but it actually worked well on my 37 RR which I intend to set up again - I'll keep that as a backup in case the downdraft skimmer I got second-hand from somebody, doesn't fit. The downdraft would be da bomb on it if I can fit it in.

I'm a EuroReef gal. Those are my preference.

Jenn

Harleyguy;338131 wrote: Well, I have found a great deal on a BK mini 200, and the 170 is a good price as well... I'm extremely tempted...

Well, I would be tempted too.................................................WHERE? :D

Buy an Octopus, good price, skims well, QUIET pump that only draws 30 watts.

Octopus Extreme hands down. The Octo 200 should work well for ya and it's under $300.

If your going to go with an Octopus I would go with a MSX series from Marine Solutions. Same body as an Octopus but has better, more efficient pump.

dough;338194 wrote: If your going to go with an Octopus I would go with a MSX series from Marine Solutions. Same body as an Octopus but has better, more efficient pump.

Doug, you might want to update your research. Both the Octopus and MSX use the Italian made Sicce pumps. They ARE, however, extremely efficient as you said.

LOL! Your right.......I was looking at all my freaking notes and crossed Warner Marine Sendra pumps with Octo/MSX Sicce pumps. You can still pimp the Sicce pumps with several different impellers. MSX now comes in a cone as well.

texhorns98;338195 wrote: Doug, you might want to update your research. Both the Octopus and MSX use the Italian made Sicce pumps. They ARE, however, extremely efficient as you said.

Yeah, I've heard some good things about the purple "pinwheel". I'm using mine stock right now and it seems to be doing well. I'm sure I'll get bored soon and need to do SOMETHING to it though!

You know if you're looking at the ATB cones, I've read good things about them. I think that if your leaning towards a cone if would come down to possible three. BK Alpha Cones with the Red Dragon pumps with intro pricing starting at $650, ATB Cones and the newest ones out there mfg by a Tampa company called I-Tech Skimmers. I've read some positive feedback on them, little less expensive then the other 2 and right now you can use several different pumps. I think the winning pump is going to be the Tunze pump. But google I-Tech Skimmers.

Again, cones skimmers seem to be the latest and greatest gadget for us reefers. Are they better, I'm not sure. Someone asked over on RC if cones are worth the extra $ and of course there was 50 different opinions.

Sending you another PM.

High-end skimmers are worth every penny. I've bought my share (and then some) of cheap equipment and learned the hard way. I've also paid a lot of money and ended up with crap.

If you're looking at a Chinese product, be aware that they employ metric plumbing and there are no parts available from the manufacturer (generally).

I would think that the European products also use metric plumbing; I've never used one, so I don't know for sure.

The cone skimmers are the new fad and you'll pay for it. You can use that money and put it towards a better skimmer; a cone is unecessary for a good skimmer. The pump plays a large role, but it must be matched with the rest of the skimmer design.

The Bk's are nice skimmers and they work well. But, you're paying a lot for the pump, import tax and the huge conversion difference.

texhorns98;338224 wrote: Yeah, I've heard some good things about the purple "pinwheel". I'm using mine stock right now and it seems to be doing well. I'm sure I'll get bored soon and need to do SOMETHING to it though!

Trey, why do you have duct tape on yours if it's stock? :confused:

Back