Highend skimmers... Worth it?

There is no reason you should pay over $300 for a skimmer for a tank 100g and smaller. BK's are overpriced like no other. I would bet that an Octopus/MRC would perform close to a BK skimmer and cost 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost. If you have the money laying around by all means go for it. If you didn't just win the lottery or you don't use $100 bills to wipe your *** than go for MRC/Octo.

RC has threads on both skimmers (almost the same) and tons of pics and feed back. I've got a Octopus extreme 160 and am in love with the thing. A friend of mine has a Octo Extreme 200 and has had no complaints about it. I've seen both in action and can tell you that you would be hard up to find a skimmer that costs less and performs better.

I don't mean to rant about the cost of BK....don't get me wrong they are nice and i wish i could afford nothing but the best regardless of cost but I can not. I would think the BK skimmer pump could be fitted on a Octo extreme.....lol. A poor mans BK!

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">+1 on the cost of the Red Dragon pumps... I started looking into I-Tech skimmers (which you have to add your own pump to) and thought I'd make, what would amount to, a ghetto Bubble King... But soon realized it would be cheaper to just buy a Bubble King.</span></span>

Bubble magnus is the knock off for the bubble king skimmer. Theres also a thread on RC for that as well. For me I use a MRC-2 on my 180. Skims great just a small amout of weekly cleaning or bi-weekly.

Well I went by MRC today and after looking around the shop, it quickly became apparent that these guys are amazingly talented and really know what they are doing... I saw a bunch of products that aren't currently advertised including a skimmer that to say the least was huge (it uses a HAMMERHEAD). These guys have progressed light years in skimmer technology and with that in mind I purchased an Ocean Force 200. The skimmer is built like a tank and I figured I couldn't beat the price... While I was there I also picked up a supper nice reef sump...

From what I saw there I don't think it will be long until people are using MRC's mane and Bubble Kings name in the same context... i.e. TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN IN SKIMMERS...

ares;339282 wrote: MRC IMO has always been the premier beckett skimmer... bubbleking and the rest didnt use beckett. which was also I think perhaps MRCs biggest hurdle. though now there is the ocean force, should shake things up. though as of now, they are only on the smaller end of the scale so still do not compete IMO with the bubble kings, deltecs, and euroreefs. not on a quality level, honestly I think MRC quality probably exceeds the others, but just by size/type, you cannot buy a comparable needle wheel skimmer from MRC(that I know of).

You mean like this?

IMG_4183.jpg
alt="" />

JennM;338423 wrote: Trey, why do you have duct tape on yours if it's stock? :confused:

:lol: I had to plug up the skimmer drain hole. I used a nylon plug, but it wasn't quite water-tight. Funny enough, in my search for fallen soldiers this morning, I FOUND the original plug!!

It's in our product line, just not on the website yet..word is, a couple of people in the club already have one of them...

As with everything in life, you get what you pay for. I say go with as much skimmer as you can afford. If you are in reefing for the long term it will pay off.

*cough*

Yeah- That's a 32 Gallon Brute...
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
340895=16792-0506091549.jpg
>
340895=16792-0506091549.jpg
class="gc-images" title="0506091549.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I should have had my picture with that when I was there! How many gallons do ya'll estimate it holds?

Mockery;340906 wrote: I should have had my picture with that when I was there! How many gallons do ya'll estimate it holds?

The box holds 100 gallons :eek:

Back