Hitchhiker

gclackum

Supporting
Reaction score
I've had this rock about 8 months. I noticed after a few months I had a hitchhiker. But it was staying inside the rock and I could only see a pink leg and a black claw. He came out tonight and I got a few pics. I know its a crab. Can anyone tell me anything else?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
121675=7482-unknown crab 2.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
121675=7482-unknown crab 2.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="unknown crab 2.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
121675=7483-unknown crab 3.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
121675=7483-unknown crab 3.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="unknown crab 3.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
121675=7481-unknown crab.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
121675=7481-unknown crab.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="unknown crab.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I know thats a pretty cool Hitchhiker. Those types of crabs are normally not reef safe. Hopefully it does not get too big.

Ohh and if you want him gone I'll take him :)

Looks like a Xanthid species of crab to me. Pretty bad stuff. Relitive to the stone crab and not considered reef safe by any streach of the imagination. Looks like you should be going crab hunting... I'll bring the butter, you bring the crab...

Ok how do I rid the tank of the crab short of taking out the rock. Is there a trap? It might be easier when it is larger, How big do they get?

Those little guys can get pretty big... Really, there is no limit to how big most crabs can get, it depends on what they have to eat.

Easiest way to get rig of him is to pull out the rock and make crab salad... Next to that, you can try to bait and snag like Cameron did with that crab a few months ago that was about the size of his hand. That was a nasty crab too.

Crab-o-Death! Commonly known to use mystical forces to conjure death and mayhem in a tank. If left alone, it can snatch babies from cribs and burn down small cities. I saw Godzilla take on one of these once... he almost lost. I put it right between Mothra and Gigan.

Back