hob overflow box

Had one on my 75 set up from September '08 until last Friday. Never lost siphon or had a problem unless I did it on purpose for cleaning. You'll want to keep the overflow tube free of algae. The reason is small bubbles flow through the tube from the tumbling water in the front side of the box. They are small enough to be carried by the flow and don't accumulate. The algae can catch bubbles and help them accumulate. This is where companies used Aqualifters to maintain siphon. With regular maintenance, there is no problem using them, the physics works.

I've had U-Tube model on my 40 upstairs for 7 months now without any issues. As noted above maintenance is the only time I've had to re-prime the siphon. I understand your concerns, I was neurotic as heck the first few days I had it running constantly fearing an overflow even after simulating a power outage and reset dozens of times to make sure that it didn't have a problem.

been using one for about 2 years and no problems what so ever. If your flow is too slow it will allow the bubbles to stop in the tube, that will break the syphon. All i do is clean the coraline and algee out once every few months and thats it..... NO PROBLEM!!

Jason

How did you all balance the flow of your overflow and return pump? It seems that I am constantly having to adjust my valve.

Solar,

are you breaking the law of gravity? LOL
As long as the overflow is capable of flowing more than the return pump, there shouldn't even be a valve!

+1

The overflow will only siphon out as much water as the pump returns to the tank. You would only need a valve if the pump is moving more water back to the tank than the overflow can siphon out.IE..... 600gph overflow and an 800gph return pump. I think i said that right. I confuse myself sometimes.:blush:

LilRobb;371870 wrote: Solar,

As long as the overflow is capable of flowing more than the return pump, there shouldn't even be a valve!

I have no valve, and you should not need one. where is it? Return or overflow? The return would be where it sould be, but be only if needed beacuse the pump is too fast. You should not restrict the overflow in my opinion. The overflow will take out water at whatever rate it is put in(up to the limit or the piping). Do you have any pics of your overflow and returns? may help with the guessing ....

Jason

LilRobb;371870 wrote: Solar,

My return pumps all of the water out of the return portion of the sump, so I put a valve on the return to the tank so that I could reduce the flow. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Sounds like (assuming no plumbing problems) you need either a larger overflow box or a smaller return pump.

Back