HOB Refugium

wbholwell

Market
Reaction score
Just trying to get some feedback- what do you think the interest would be in a refugium like the one shown below? Well-made, acrylic, including intake & pump, able to use cheap available lights. Also, what would pricing need to be?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
53043=3484-hobrefugium.jpg
>
53043=3484-hobrefugium.jpg
class="gc-images" title="hobrefugium.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
53043=3485-ov detail.jpg
>
53043=3485-ov detail.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ov detail.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

The CPR guys are your target market IMO. So it depends on length. On the cheap end, aquatraders sells these as well.

The hole of the left is a bit odd. Shouldn't that be on the top for the pump intake?

Cameron;53049 wrote:
The hole of the left is a bit odd. Shouldn't that be on the top for the pump intake?

If you'll take a close look, the hole is above the bottom of the overflow, so the intake plumbing will be above the top of the tank.

& thanks- I'll check out aquatraders.

Ahh... my suggestion would be to use a pump that can pull water and not have a submersible. I think that is the major knock on most HOB setups. It is hard on a Mag to suck water dry for a couple seconds, but since it only has to do it once in a while and it isn't very long, I would run the pump dry and have it feed the system so you don't see a big black pump hanging in the tank or putting additional heat in there. Just a thought.

^^^Excellent suggestion- I was thinking the same thing. Plus, it wouldn't be too hard to flood the inlet before starting up the pump, so I wouldn't have to worry about running the pump dry.

I would consider buying one if it didn't have a pump that dropped down into the water and there was just an inlet an inch or so below the surface of the display tank.

Cameron;53068 wrote: I would consider buying one if it didn't have a pump that dropped down into the water and there was just an inlet an inch or so below the surface of the display tank.

Thanks for the feedback! How does an adjustable inlet tube sound? What type of pump do you think would work best? And the overall length could be custom-sized.

Adjustable tube is good, but I would be happy with a set of say three tubes of varying lengths that are removable. Whichever would be cheaper to produce is probably best.

To me the Eheims would be best, but for cost reasons the mags are hard to look past. I personally like the queit one pumps, but they tend to be hit or miss on the quite aspect.

Length and almost as importantly depth that is selectable would be great. I know jhutto would have bought one if it was narrower than the CPR. I would love to have one about twice as deep and fit between my overflows.

Well I had the CPR Hob refugium on my 46 Gal. tank.I would have to say it was a waste of money.Not really big enough to cultivate anything that would actually be beneficial to your tank,other then maybe a few Pod's.Yeah you can grow some Chaeto or whatever,but is it enough to make a difference,ummm I dont think so.I would suggest saving your money and buying some corals instead.If you have room under your stand or somewhere for a larger refugium then that whe way to goould be t.Just my opinion of course :)

What size is your tank BTW, Bryan? Are you thinking about Manuf. these?

Actually, I've already got a fuge under my tank, but b/c my tank is a 72 bowfront and the sump takes up most of the room, my fuge is pretty small. Mostly I just want to play with acrylic!

I've been looking for a HOB refugium/overflow. Let me know if you need a guinea pig!

zman676;53163 wrote: I've been looking for a HOB refugium/overflow. Let me know if you need a guinea pig!

Yeah? Well tell me, what length and height would work best for you? Also, do you have a min. depth requirement?

dawgdude;53222 wrote: Does anyone know a place where you can find clear tubing that is that size? I guess really big rigid airline tubing?

Like clear vinyl tubing? HD or Lowes carries it.

I ordered a refugium from Aquatraders, it was terrible. I recieved it June 1, started efforts to return it the very next day. It's July 4 and I still dont have my money back. It IS far too small to do anything with and my biggest problem was it leaking. They hang on the back via the plumbing pipes. When the unit fills with water, the wieght puts a lot of stress on those pipes, and they pull apart. I think the threads were too fine and the plastic pipes were too soft. Could be fixed if siliconed, but that would have voided the return policey. My sun room was soaked twice, I'd have never felt safe leaving it unattended after that. I've paid more to ship this thing twice than it cost me originally, still don't know if I will get my money back. I would not recommend Aquatraders.com to anyone at this point. They sell junk and with their "one-sided" return policeys, you are kind of stuck with what they send you.

The model I ordered had a built in skimmer, which was so cheaply designed, I don't feel it could ever work proberly.

The whole idea of a skimmer/refugium combo is flawed anyway. Skimmers need to move water fast to do its job, refugiums need a slow flow to do its job, the two together in one unit is counter-productive.

I've made several purchases from aquatraders.com. My light was over two years old when the ballasts blew, replacing them costs more than the fixture, so its a piece of junk now I'm going to give to Tony at the next meeting, the UV I bought worked for 4 days before the cheap couplings broke, and I had to mod it beyond recongnition to get it to work, and the refugium didn't work at all. In fact, the only floods I've had was because of Aquatraders merchandise, and I've been in this hobby for 20+ years.

I would curse Aquatraders more but my fingers are tired.... LOL

I think if you could do that type of service/product, you would be on to something!

I have a CPR HOB fuge and I absolutely love it. I would definately recommend to anyone who has a small tank to get one.

Let me add to the list... a freaking hang on probe holder. I have rigged one up, but it sucks and I HATE suction cups.

I think the common answer is about 3", but I think 2" is fine.

Back