HOB Refugium

We're also thinking of making a much cheaper version of the Tunze Wavebox. What does everyone think?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
53703=3623-wavebox1a.jpg
>
53703=3623-wavebox1a.jpg
class="gc-images" title="wavebox1a.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
53703=3624-wavebox1b.jpg
>
53703=3624-wavebox1b.jpg
class="gc-images" title="wavebox1b.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Here are a few updated refugium pics:
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
53732=3637-hobrefugium1.jpg
>
53732=3637-hobrefugium1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="hobrefugium1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
53732=3636-hobrefugium2.jpg
>
53732=3636-hobrefugium2.jpg
class="gc-images" title="hobrefugium2.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

So far, I'd say it looks like a superior design to the aquafuge type fuge as the pump is housed outside the main tank, and I find the intergrated outlet to be a big plus, as leaky plumbing on the outlet is the reason I returned my refugium. So far, so great!

Gimme a prototype and I'll review it for you<grin>! I already know the short comings of the aquafuge type refugiums.

Have you considered the wieght limitations? Just how much water can you hang on the side of a display tank?

Keep us posted! Looks like you are on to something!

Dakota9;53740 wrote: So far, I'd say it looks like a superior design to the aquafuge type fuge as the pump is housed outside the main tank, and I find the intergrated outlet to be a big plus, as leaky plumbing on the outlet is the reason I returned my refugium. So far, so great!

Gimme a prototype and I'll review it for you<grin>! I already know the short comings of the aquafuge type refugiums.

Have you considered the wieght limitations? Just how much water can you hang on the side of a display tank?

Keep us posted! Looks like you are on to something!

Thanks! And yes, I've considered the weight of the filled refugium, although I haven't performed any stress analysis. But as you can see in the preliminary design, the hanging brackets and the sides are all one piece for increased strength. The thickness of the side pieces can be increased for additional strength, and a center hanging bracket can be added for even more strength. The final design will incorporate a safety factor of about 3. As far as your question, "how much water can you hang on the side of a display tank?"- well that's kind of a loaded question. I wouldn't want to hang 7 or 8 gallons off a 15 gallon tank, but frankly it all depends on how you hang it.

Oh, and I assume the first ones we'll sell very cheap- near cost- as they'll be prototypes.

I have a 30 long tank 36"x16", could you do a hang on to span the whole back? I think that would be a cool look, but then again, my tank is out kind of in the middle of the room where 3 sides are viewed.

Dakota9;53827 wrote: I have a 30 long tank 36"x16", could you do a hang on to span the whole back? I think that would be a cool look, but then again, my tank is out kind of in the middle of the room where 3 sides are viewed.

It's possible, but it'll require several special considerations. PM me if you're very interested.

After my dissapointment with the refugium I ordered, I started a DIY refugium that may or may not hold water, if it leaks when I test it today, I'm trashing it and giving you guys a call.

Oh, and went to add rep points for you after all your cool HOB fuge ideas and accidentally gave them to Cameron the first time, but you got them on the second try.

thanks

My tank has one overflow to the refuge, and the other goes directly to skimmer. Realizing that not all water gets treated all the time, I still think it works pretty well.

mitchelliii;55752 wrote: My tank has one overflow to the refuge, and the other goes directly to skimmer. Realizing that not all water gets treated all the time, I still think it works pretty well.

All of your water gets "treated" potentially by the skimmer just not through the fuge...

I would be interested to see the wave box and test it out... I also need some black acrylic!!!

How is this project going? I need (ok, want) a new refugium of particular deminsions.

Can (would) you guys do a stand-beside refugium? Problem is I need a rather large one 18x10x20. Glasscages wanted 165.00 for basically a 12g tank. Thought I'd shop around. My DIY refugium works (i.e. holds water), but now it's the wrong deminsions to fit the new tank which is on the way.

Thanks

Back