Holy cow, my tank was crash

thanhreef

Market
Reaction score
It has driven me crazy for the last 4 days. My SPS was attacked with a case of RTN. My SPS have been doing great for the last 4 months. I saw a few of very nice acros showed signs of RTN. WHY? All the water parameters were good and I hadn’t had any sudden temperature changes.

I remembered, about 7 days ago I re-aquascaped the live rock. Moving the rock around might have triggered that toxic release and a result stress on the SPS. That stress probably made the SPS very receptive to bacteria infection. I immediately did a 20% water change. It was apparent I lost a lot of nice SPS. I did another 20% water change this morning and some of the SPS are again beginning to extend. I will do another 10% water change this weekend.

SPS is very tough to keep, but I will not give up. I will try again when my tank is stable.

thanh

Sorry, I can't help myself....

His Name is Vista and his tank crashed... Am I the only one seeing the humor???

Seriously, I feel for ya, I just sold my setup and transfered my favorite pieces to a store for safe keeping, only to have all my SPS RTN over night... No fault to the store, these things can just happen!

yeah. It was my fault to disturb a sand bed. It was a stupid mistake and I paid price. Well, it's life. Live, Learn and Play :)

Akopley;284268 wrote: haha should have gone with a mac...i hear they have less issues with RTN.
Mac tanks don't come with UV sterilizers, medications, or carbon filters.

They say you don't need them because all their fish are perfect and disease-free.

dawgdude;284222 wrote: Yeah you never ever ever ever want to disturb a sand bed. You are stirring up so much detritus its not even funny! Replace your carbon frequently and run purigen.

Routine siphoning of the sand bed prevents this from being an issue. Careful siphoning of a dirty sandbed can be performed to fix this issue. I don't see why someone wouldn't want to clean the largest depsoit of waste from their system, unless you're running a DSB, that is.

Back