Holy s#@t! THAT WAS CLOSE!!!!!

Rickdareefa

Supporting
Reaction score
Yesterday morning i was having my morning coffe and i heard a loud pop noise come from my tank and i didnt see any problems so i thought maybe a crab or something crawled in a pump. i came home from nemos later with a new frag and dropped it in the sump and sat down. Then my leak detector alarm went off. I thought may have splashed some water on it. When i pucked it up i realized the floor around the sump was soaked. Then the terrible truth was discovered...the seam on my acrylic sump busted (that was the loud pop sound) and it was pulling apart in front of my eyes! After panicking for a second i grabbed the shop vac and emptied the sump. When i pulled it out 1 of the sides that cracked literally came off it my hand. If i came home 20 minutes later it would have been a disaster! I quickly drove to petco was forced to pay 50 bux for a 20 long tank fml... but finally after hours of panicked labor i was able to set it all back up with a baffleless sump with no coral or fish loss. And my new frag is doing just fine :)20210206_144005.jpg20210206_144014.jpg20210206_153744.jpg20210206_174046.jpg20210206_205314.jpg20210207_130807.jpg20210207_130917.jpg

Yo! I hate seeing stuff like that because my first thought is "What I that happens to me and I'm not home??!?!" I (used to) travel a lot for work and stories like these keep me up at night. Great catch and I'm glad you were able to get it squared away with minimal issue.

Do you know how old the sump was? Great luck you were there.

Crazy it broke like that. Not a whole lot of pressure in a sump that size and seems like pretty thick acrylic...especially compared to my Eschops sump that has paper-thin walls (easily bent with your hands on the long sides)

Damn! Crazy the sump went like that. I was expecting to read about another display cracking.

Glad you were home to catch it before you lost livestock and damage was done to the house. Great save!

With that thick of an acrylic, couldn’t you just drill holes and put screws in to reinforce the seams?

Do you know how old the sump was? Great luck you were there.

Crazy it broke like that. Not a whole lot of pressure in a sump that size and seems like pretty thick acrylic...especially compared to my Eschops sump that has paper-thin walls (easily bent with your hands on the long sides)
I think i bought it from another member almost a year ago. Soo not sure how old it is. It is pretty thick has quite a bit weight to it

Back