Hood or canopy for 40 breeder

gill

Supporting
Reaction score
Bought a 40g breeder at Petsmart. Thought I would save money and get without hood, and buy a top separately.

3 months, 15+ hours of my life, and 5 returned hoods later, it is one of the more stupid things I have done in this hobby.

Every single 36-inch canopy and hood is too big by 1/2 an inch. The inside rim on this is strangely small and measures 34.5 inches, not 35-1/8 like everyone seems to have. And of course, there was no brand name on the tank, I just bought it as is.

Any thoughts?

Anything. Glass top, hood with light, I've tried several. It still boggles my mind how something as standard as a 40 breeder could have this issue. The inside lip to inside lip is 34.75 inches, and everything comes about 35.25. Just curious if anyone had this before.

I'm pretty sure I have a 40b glass top sitting in my shed. You are welcome to it(free), but I live in Cleveland. Are you going to the Feb. meeting?

Gill;1071368 wrote: Anything. Glass top, hood with light, I've tried several. It still boggles my mind how something as standard as a 40 breeder could have this issue. The inside lip to inside lip is 34.75 inches, and everything comes about 35.25. Just curious if anyone had this before.
There are several options mesh top, glass top, canopy. It just depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

you could always make your own mesh top? it's pretty easy you'll just have to buy some clear mesh online if you don't want it to block any light.

Back