Cook's 40 Gallon Breeder Frag Tank

Tank parameters are stable now and I have been seeing some growth. Most smooth skinned SPS do not like this tank though. I’m wondering if I have been too aggressive with dipping those types of SPS. I have a Garf bonsai accident Several colonies of zoas need trimming.

38C92CCD-439A-42AE-BFBF-33D0E8397695.jpeg

Attachments

• E11FA9BF-CBD7-4C35-BC11-33BB6C831A3B.jpeg
    E11FA9BF-CBD7-4C35-BC11-33BB6C831A3B.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 0ADB5779-86DD-454E-A268-9BACE8F08888.jpeg
    0ADB5779-86DD-454E-A268-9BACE8F08888.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 418C1BA1-C161-4F72-95DA-45D270C67850.jpeg
    418C1BA1-C161-4F72-95DA-45D270C67850.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 21
I didn’t know better and treated my coral QT tank with furan2 in April as it was said to be good for zoas, they meant as a dip, ooops. I lost several corals and my cotton candy torch went super pale and has just looked sad for the last few months. It’s finally doing well and has it’s coloration back. It’s next to a purple torch I got from Luis Crespo at the frag swap.
E299EE45-2673-480E-8954-74F89FFA7355.jpeg

My phosphates have climbed even with a 20% water change, 2 tablespoons of Rowaphos in a media reactor, and chaeto in the sump. The Rowaphos was three weeks old however.

This was Monday:
Alkalinity 8.0
Phosphates 0.184
Nitrates are >5 <12 - in this range I may switch back to the Salifert test, The Nyos is better for lower nitrate levels. I changed the Rowaphos and cut back the feeding this week.

I need to rehome the wrasse today to this tank, so potentially two things have to happen first. I need to construct a screen top for the 40 breeder, but since I do not have the returns drilled on this tank they just hang over the rim, I will have to make cutouts for the two corners of the frame. I bought the do it yourself screen frame kit from Home Depot and I have plenty of left over screen from my Red Sea lid that I made for the 105 a couple of years ago. I'm trying to decide if I want to try to notch the screen frame or just make a straight frame and then 3D print a snap on cover for the back like a more traditional glass top. I'm leaning towards the 3D printer route since I hate cutting the aluminum channel, but taking the time to notch the two corners would block less light and look nicer. My Prusa jammed when I let the current PETG roll run out, so if I want to print the backer, I'll have to fix that first which at this point is requires taking apart the hot end. Decisions decisions.

Go with your instinct and 3D print. That will have to be done at some point anyway so you might want to do it now while you have the reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to rehome the wrasse today to this tank, so potentially two things have to happen first. I need to construct a screen top for the 40 breeder, but since I do not have the returns drilled on this tank they just hang over the rim, I will have to make cutouts for the two corners of the frame. I bought the do it yourself screen frame kit from Home Depot and I have plenty of left over screen from my Red Sea lid that I made for the 105 a couple of years ago. I'm trying to decide if I want to try to notch the screen frame or just make a straight frame and then 3D print a snap on cover for the back like a more traditional glass top. I'm leaning towards the 3D printer route since I hate cutting the aluminum channel, but taking the time to notch the two corners would block less light and look nicer. My Prusa jammed when I let the current PETG roll run out, so if I want to print the backer, I'll have to fix that first which at this point is requires taking apart the hot end. Decisions decisions.
Or if you’re feeling creative 3d print the notches with the groove for spline built in. So you just make a U out of it and the aluminum remains straight pieces.

Or if you’re feeling creative 3d print the notches with the groove for spline built in. So you just make a U out of it and the aluminum remains straight pieces.
I hadn't thought of that! I have to connect the corners anyway so yeah, I could just print them.

It’s amazing to see the change in behavior with this wrasse when I swapped tanks. I’m living on the edge as I did not get the screen top built yet, I just got my printer fixed yesterday. The wrasse had jumped out of the breeder enclosure in the 20 cube and was back in his own version of hell with his original tank mates, so I checked salinity and moved him over. He has calmed down and is getting along with everyone so far. I’m also having a bit of a dilemma as I ordered both a Mckosker’s wrasse and a carpenter wrasse. I can’t tell which this one is. In their juvenile form they look very similar. I thought the Mckosker’s was the one that died, but it may have been the carpenter instead.

D3390796-1B82-4831-A762-643050B25452.jpeg441C9DC9-DFBB-4436-8B55-C885D51FE7BA.jpeg

Last edited:
I've decided to consolidate tanks to make things easier on me from a maintenance and testing standpoint and to see if we can raise a few batches of clownfish again, so I'm going to move the contents of this tank into a new 80 gallon frag tank. New build thread coming for that. This tank will be up for sale in a few weeks: Tank, stand, sump, and return pump with all the necessary plumbing.

So, I got an offer today that I couldn’t refuse to go get on an airplane and when I came home to pack, there was a mountain of foam covering my skimmer and sump. I did a 40 percent water change and started packing. I won’t be back until Saturday, so hopefully everything is OK when I get back. Not sure what happened.

Back