Horrible Algae Issues

bkostuch;1068977 wrote: Also if you want to go back to using carbon, i would suggest a dual reactor style setup or run your phosban reactor in tandem behind your carbon, that way any "phosphate leech" that is happening on your carbon is caught immediately with the phosban reactor. I run carbon and GFO in a dual reactor and have yet to see a phosphate issue.

Lol and how did not think to do that? Who knows.. I had them linked but I had the carbon after the phosphate but that was before i knew carbon leached phosphates. I guess I'll switch them up tonight and get the carbon back on line. Thanks!

billsfan;1068971 wrote: A little off topic but how good is the coral box skimmer. How does it compare to skimmers you have owned. I'm looking into there cloud c9 skimmer.

I did a review of the skimmer here

showthread.php

45d5807c3476384a3945a1aed2fdc3ac.jpg
alt="" />
aa46b41f5c3380ea20ee2a28cb4709a4.jpg
alt="" />
346e82270f49c77babaa60d645b92249.jpg
alt="" />
7411fefb77abcf25a240e30a84f7da70.jpg
alt="" />
927a388e61f2b6623dd7eda6c02253fd.jpg
alt="" />
0856ede44a07067575f3e0b0071b2519.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnowManSnow;1068968 wrote: I think , at 6 weeks you my just be hitting your cycle.... Can you post a pic of the algae you're having?

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Just posted the pics of the algae/cyano

For the cyano on the bottom just siphon it and make sure your powerheads are getting good flow. As for the rocks, it wouldn't hurt pulling those that have algae outbreak out of the tank and scrubbing them down with a toothbrush in RODI water.

Also a diamond goby will help keep the sand clean

bkostuch;1069012 wrote: Also a diamond goby will help keep the sand clean

I thought about that. Will my mandarin be in competition for food with him?

Also didn't really want to have to rescape the tank and most rocks have corals glued to them..

Nope, I have a mandarin and diamond in my 120 and they are happy campers.

Cool. I'll siphon the tank this weekend and add a diamond goby.

Thanks!

Nutrient export is your issue. The algae and cyano are feeding on the excess nutrients. You're also very early in the aquarium cycle. The mandarin will struggle; hopefully he's eating prepared foods.

Remove cyano right before lights turn off. Then do a big water change. You'll want to keep doing that each night until your issues are in check. But, you'll need to increase your normal husbandry practices to maintain good parameters.

I'd also manually remove that algae. Add some kalk paste on the areas afterwards to burn off anything that's left behind.

A diamond goby will stir your sand bed, but you will also be adding to your already heavy bioload. Not for the size of your tank, but for its age.

Like others have said - it looks like a pretty normal, 6 week old tank. Most tanks are going to have various algae blooms in the first year including cyano, gha, diatoms, etc...

I think Scriz offered the best advice - i'd go with that.

Okay. My usual routine is 15gal weekly and 20gal every 3 weeks. How should I change that?

And being that my tank is so young, how much of a chanche will I actually begin to see?

Agree with Skriz. Also, since your algae issues seem confined to specific rocks, have you considered pulling them out and hitting them with H2O2? It can make really quick work of algae. I know you didn't want to remove your rocks, but most corals can survive a short H2O2 dip. Do some quick googling on each type of coral that would take a dip. Good luck!

RedStang;1069069 wrote: Agree with Skriz. Also, since your algae issues seem confined to specific rocks, have you considered pulling them out and hitting them with H2O2? It can make really quick work of algae. I know you didn't want to remove your rocks, but most corals can survive a short H2O2 dip. Do some quick googling on each type of coral that would take a dip. Good luck!

H2O2 Being hydrogen peroxide

Skriz;1069031 wrote: Nutrient export is your issue.

<u>This right here. </u></em>

ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE WARNING: I also disagree with the earlier expressed idea of a startup algae bloom. Diatoms, yes. Even some cyano. But I personally have never experienced an algae bloom when starting a tank.

Consider doing carbon dosing. All the cool kids are doing it. :shades:

Read and follow exactly:</em> http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/</a>

There is danger to your livestock if done impatiently. Been carbon dosing for 3 years, and I can dial my phosphate/nitrate up or down pretty easy.

I've been looking at carbon dosing and been reading on dosing H202 but I'm nervous about side affects

tcampbell23;1069142 wrote: I've been looking at carbon dosing and been reading on dosing H202 but I'm nervous about side affects

Go with a low dose - 1mL per gallon - and you'll be fine with no side effects (you could use 3x that with no long term effects I've seen)

Back