How did you get into the hobby?

I was ignorant to SW when i first got into the hobby and bought everything from CBA. CBA was an amazing store and had the best atmosphere of all. I was in a trans when i walked in there. Looking back I feel $8 and $9 a lb for LR was too much for a newbie. I dont dislike CBA, i wish they were still around. I owned my own business "non-fish related" and can imagine the probs they had and overhead. I beleive posts like this and ARC as a whole prob did not help the owners. I dont know the reason they went out of business. Internet and competiton prob drove them into the ground. I too was a small business owner for almost 3 years and put my life into that place and made a good bit of money. Managers and Employees was the main downfall. Economy had something to do with it. Ive said it before and ill say it again, good luck to the owners of CBA, I hope they make it. I think this area is too flooded with fish stores. I know when CBA first arrived they prob made tons of cash but when "nemo" became popular other stores opened and flooded the market.

Fish Scales2;252468 wrote: When I was about 9 years old my mom worked in a pet store that had fish and reptiles only, I said it then that I would one day own a store. We always had a fish tank since then. When I moved out at 21 I bought a 10 gal, and within a year I had two 10's, a 29 and my first 55. They were all freshwater but saltwater was inevitable.

I have also dreamed of owning a pet store. one that specializes in saltwater, birds, and possibly reptiles. I have seen stores come and go and know its hard. So I like to help support those who have made it instead of the larger chains.

We always had freshwater tanks growing up. When I moved to Florida in 1989 I started a 30 gallon FO tank with an undergravel filter (live rock--what's that?) and had it for a couple of years.

When I planned my basement build out I decided I wanted to incorporate a reef tank into the plans and built in a 175 bowfront. I almost scratched it from the plans in favor of a wine cellar--but I did what any normal individual would do....I changed the plans and put in both! Now I don't have the budget to stock either properly!:D

I allways kept freshwater tanks untill i went on a cruise with my fam and snorkeld in the bahamas. all the fish in the corals realy were beutiful and from then on i was hooked, end of storie. it aint long but it sure is simple!

Back