How do i know if it is tempered?

fraggel rock

Market
Reaction score
I have a 36 gallon aqueon bowfront and i don't know whether the back is tempered or not. Help!!!

A 36g All-Glass/Aqueon should have a drillable back (i.e. it's not tempered). The bottom might be tempered.

most AGA/Aqueon tanks are only tempered on the bottom. Notice I said MOST.

Ahhh..doesn't all tempered glass have that little tempered insignia stamped on the corner of the glass....??

That too Todd. It should have a sticker on the bottom saying. DO NOT DRILL. THIS IS TEMPERED GLASS. Or something to that effect.

I have an aqueon tank that has the bottom drilled..

You can look at the glass with polarized glasses and if it has a wavey effect in the glass it is tempered. Found that out from RC.

call manufacturer, with model and ask, they will tell you,
some tanks just have tempered bottoms, some are all tempered, it depends, my 55 is all tempered, but its a top fin

<span style="color: black;">Best way to know for sure is to drill it. If it brakes - it's tampered. J/K</span>

<span style="color: black;">Have you looked at the manufacture website? Specifically this PDF: http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/011/19784.pdf"><span style="color: #800080;">http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/011/19784.pdf</span></a></span>
<span style="color: black;">The last column specifies if the bottom is tempered. Usually, when they talk about the bottom only, it means the sides are not tempered.</span>

I learned yesterday that if you drop the tank on the ground from a high elevation and it breaks. Wait to see if the glass pops like Rice Krispies. Thats what happened to a 45 tech stand of mine. :sad:

Well that sucks.

The polarize thing is cool though! I'll have to try it.

The aqueon tanks that are drilled on the bottom are drilled by the company before the bottom glass is tempered. The bottom is generally the only one tempered for extra strength.

does anyone have aga's number? my computer is down until next week and i am having to do everything from my cellphone.

a>

Back