How do I remove a 4' Eunicid worm?

ralph atl

Market
Reaction score
I have a 48 inch 55 gallon stony reef tank, and I've noticed that I had an Eunicid worm for sometime now. It's at least 4 feet long. I wasn't too worried at first, but lately my fish are all huddled up on the left front of my tank at night where only my clowns "slept". One of my chromis looks likes it's been in a fight. Tonight I noticed the worm (located deep inside a bottom rock on the right side) slithering all the way toward the left side (behind & underneath the rock of course!) where my fish are. I can't take the rocks apart due to a clam, & stony corals that are on the rocks above. Do you have any suggestions on how I can catch, kill, eliminate this monster?

I just finished watching Nat'l Geographic program on the Asian Snakehead fish invasion in the US. I would suggest one of those but they don't survive in SW.

I've got no idea, except start taking rock out.

I think your only hope short of tearing it down is a home made trap. Maybe a few two liter coke bottles cut together, baited and a way to shut the front door on it once it enters. That is the best I got.

How about using 1" diameter pvc pipes and elbows and putting a cap on one end, and bait the capped end. Make sure it's long enough to get a majority of the worm into the pipe. Once the worm is in, grab the pipe and take it out of the aquarium. Not sure, but it might work?

http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm">http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm</a>

The PVC tube seems like a great shot, after reading this account.

Man this is the kind of stuff that nightmares are made of... I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing this beast was in my tank.

If I were you I would call my best fish friends and get to work ASAP. Setup a holding tank and start removing rocks piece by piece until you remove that SOB. I've got plenty of SPS growth and clams on my rockwork as well and they would be fine with being moved around a lil. I bet you they would rejoice at the removal of that beast.

Back