How Do I remove Aptasia..

raisingtwo2006

Market
Reaction score
From a clamshell? It's buried it's tiny little stem down in one of the outside folds of the shell, and I don't want to squirt it with lemon unless I know it won't hurt my clam...

I've heard that I can just put superglue over that area of the shell, and it would kill it too..

Thanks!

watch

He can hurt it... He stings and if he bothers the clam enough... it could die..

The aptasia x will not hurt the clam I have had it drop into and on a clam no worries. If you use the Aptasia x wait 10 days or so if you see any new sprouts throw in a pep shrimp if you can. I have been using it for a month or so now. Getting good results over all. My clown thought Iwas trget feeding,,,,,, took a big mothful of it, he just spit it out looked at me with a WTH????!! look

I haven't seen Joe's Juice around here...I'll do my rounds this morning and try to find some- I've been meaning to get some anyway, just in case-

And I would sacrifice a zillion clams if it would get Criss Angel to come to my house!! He's in my 5 for sure!

As you said in your first post... you do have super glue. Sealing it up nice and tight is better than spending money on some aptasia oriented juice. Unless you have lots of aptasia to kill in which I case I'd recommend just using ms. wage's pickling lime and a syringe. It works just as well and its cheap... and when you're done you can use it to dose kalk.

As for the aptasia hurting the clams... I'm not so sure the clam's care. Mine takes a beating from my RBTA on some days and has been for a year. It doesn't flinch back from the RBTA touch and stays open so I imagine they have some sort of protective mucous layer or something of that nature which would make sense.

On a side note... How are those frags doing?

You can get pickling lime at just about any Kroger I think (Mrs. Wages is the brand commonly used in the hobby).

Be very careful not to breathe the dust. The stuff makes a very alkaline solution on contact with water, so it will do the same in your lungs.

I got a couple of syringes from the Target pharmacy (felt weird buying them, but it was easy) and then got some lemon juice or vinegar and heated it up to boiling, and loaded up the syringe and injected it. I like the lemon juice better because it seems to be heavier than the water and stay around the aiptasia.

I haven't used the pickling lime in a syringe so I don't know how it compares with vinegar or lemon juice.

Back