How do you go on vacation?

el-reefo

Market
Reaction score
What sort of thing do y'all consider and end up doing as a result of going on vacation and leaving your fish for a week or more?

Thanks,

P.S. Does anyone ever consider not to go on vacation?

I have an ATO that can top off RODI for 10 days max. I enlist the help of friends and family to stop by daily to feed, dose 2-part to keep up Calc/Alk. Last vacation everything went well.

Can you send me a PIC and some description of what the ATO is? I need to start using it and testing it because it won't be long before I have to go out and I am not prepared for that at all.

There are a bunch of good ATO (Automatic Top Off) units available in all sorts of price ranges and ease of installation. I am wiring impaired, so I use this one;
http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=jbj_ato&Category_Code">http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=jbj_ato&Category_Code</a>=

hope that helps!
BZ

I am probably not the best resource for advice on adding an Auto Top Off - mine was part of the filtration system out of the box. I know some folks that use the JBJ Auto Top Off system....I am sure there are some others here that can jump in and give some good advice on setting one up.

In my humble opinion it is priceless! I use one on all my setups. Not only do they keep you from having to constantly haul RO and add to the tank, they maintian the salinity at a fairly constant level through gradual replacement of the evaporation. Be careful to turn off the unit if you are taking water out of the tank for water changes, siphoning, etc or you may add to much RO though! Another benefit is to maintain the water level in your tank or sump at a constant level, this was critical for me since I am still using my old Coralife Skimmers which are really tempermental to changes in water level. They work great when the water level is constant though! There are a bunch of other units and devices out there if you search the internet. I just have had good luck with these devices.

+1 billion on ATOs. Anything you can automate with a reef, with safeguards, is worth it's weight in LE corals! I have used the Reef Fanatic and JBL ATOs. I like them both since they use a dual float system. You can configure the second float to either stop the pump in the RO/DI resoviour is empty or as another failsafe if the first flaot fails. I have been on vacation many times with all my tanks, make sure you have someone that recognizes issues looking after your tanks. The common person has no idea what bad looks like. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

I just came back from my 1st vacation after having set up my tank.

I purchased a quality auto feeder and programmed it to feed pellets 3x each day.

I had someone stay at the house (for other reasons) and showed them how to top off the sump with RO/DI water. I don't trust my auto top off system that much. I'll likely purchase the Tunze soon.

When I came home -- the tank and stock looked every bit as good as when I left. I was gone for 7 days.

I normally pack my stuff, then head towards the airport... But that's just me...

If you don't already have timers for your lights, get them before the trip. Your corals will need lighting. There is nothing like having a trusted friend check on things even if you have automatic feeding and top off. there could be a power failure- timers get messed up, heater or pumps go on the blink,
Less food is better than too much food.
Hope your trip is fun
Sheryle

bookysocks;234570 wrote: Would a protien skimmer need to be emptied during the vacation also?

Depends on how much it skims and how dirty it gets. Mine I have to clean out every few day or the gunk builds up on the feedneck and it doesn't skim.

I do not worry. I left for seven and had no problems. I figure it forces the fish to graze on what's in the tank

Back