How do you install a bulkhead?

lifestudent

Lifetime
Reaction score
A friend donated his tank to my daughter's high school, but the bulkhead for the return needed to be replaced.

I bought the replacement, but my question is: Does the the rubber gasket go inside the overflow box and go between the acrylic tank and the nut OR does it go on the underside of the tank between the acrylic tank and the big flat disk (that is part of the bulkhead that keeps the bulkhead from going through the whole)?

Thanks!

Bob

hmmm, typically, i have the bulkhead so that the nut part is on the outside of the hole (doesn't get wet) and the lip on the inside of the tank. The gasket goes on the inside of the tank between the lip of the bulkhead and the glass/acrylic.

Does that answer your question? I'll try and find a diagram.

also, i usually use pipe dope or t-tape on the threads to keep the nut in place. not necessary, but i do it anyway... :)

Well, that was the way it was installed (threaded part with nut inside the overflow box). I wouldn't have any issue with placing the nut outside of the tank; on the underside of the tank. It certainly would make it easier to access.

BTW, I the bulkhead is a slip type (non-threaded interior) if that makes any difference.

I am not familiar with bulkheads since I don't have a sump (yet).

Thanks!

Bob

Gasket on the side with water... I typically buy an extra gasket and put one on both sides for my tanks. It's tricky to tighten the nut with a gasket but it usually provides less leaks in my experience.

DSCN5896.jpg
alt="" />

you dont want the threaded nut on the same side as the gasket. When torque (as minimal as it is) is applied, the nut could "wrinkle" the gasket and make a leak. I always put the gasket on the wet side, nut on the dry. You shouldn't need any teflon or other thread locking- the gasket does the wrok. It will slightly inflate when when and secure the fitting. Bulkheads should really only be hand tightened- don't put a heavy wrench to it.

jmaneyapanda wrote: you dont want the threaded nut on the same side as the gasket. When torque (as minimal as it is) is applied, the nut could "wrinkle" the gasket and make a leak. I always put the gasket on the wet side, nut on the dry. You shouldn't need any teflon or other thread locking- the gasket does the wrok. It will slightly inflate when when and secure the fitting. Bulkheads should really only be hand tightened- don't put a heavy wrench to it.

How tight should I make the nut? :unsure:

Is it like tightening an oil filter for a car: Hand tighten, then turn 1/4 revolution more? (It's going on an <u>acrylic</u> tank.)

Thanks!

Bob

I do as hand tight as I can get it. Any more can distend the gasket which can cause leaks as well.

Yes, as George says. It will</em> make you uneasy, because all your will is going to say "crank that mother down!", but you'll have to have some faith that it will work correctly.

Back