how do you make your water crystal clear?

Bleach.:lol2:

But seriously, there's a couple versions of "clear":

Color clear (i.e. not yellowish) which can be achieved with carbon and/or ozone use. Those are the two methods I'm familiar with and I've only used carbon.

Particulate clear which comes from various methods of physical filtration like micron filters, settling filters, or other physical barriers to catch stuff. This, in my opinion, isn't necessarily desirable since most micron filters will also filter out live foods in the water column such as copepods and rotifers. They can also become nitrate farms if not cleaned regularly and often.

Then there's the "I Photoshopped my image" clear which obviously is for pics only and self-explanatory. :D

Lack of microbubbles, for one. You'd be surprised how many bubbles are in the water column. Turn off your pumps for 10-20 mins to see if they're affecting the water clarity in your own tank.

There are different things. But stuff that is proven to work is acutally very simple.

Eliminate air going into your water pumps and hose, thus cutting the mircobubbles.
Liberal use of carbon. I say 2 lbs per 100 gallon don't hurt anything.
A very good double floss filter.

I run a GIANT Emperor Aquatics 40watt UV. It keeps my water crystal clear.

microbubbles would come from either a skimmer thats not tuned correctly or some sort of algae/macroalgae thats photosynthesizing

Usually it's a pump that is sucking in air and chopping it. The main cause for the bubbles when using a regular chamberless sump is this:

Your overflow or a skimmer return is pumping water back into the sump and extra air is introduced when the return water hits the water in the sump, these bubbles will often get sucked into the return pump and get chopped into tiny bubbles. If the problem is small then you would actually think it's coming from somewhere else.

So i ran purigen in my water the other day and WOW! super crystal clear and I am pretty sure that the purigen is a big reason why....

mojo;54974 wrote: Lack of microbubbles, for one. You'd be surprised how many bubbles are in the water column. Turn off your pumps for 10-20 mins to see if they're affecting the water clarity in your own tank.
Good point and +1 to ya...

I use the shotgun approach, Carbon, monster UV running real slow, big skimmer, GFO, Purigen and polyfill. I also think a fuge helps, but I just have a big wad of chaeto. Aside from the bubbles, a lot of people have percipitation from using too much calcium or similar additives.

As for the microbubble problem, I find moving the return nozzles above the water line REALLY helps remove any microbubble coming from the return as well as prevents a reverse syphon.

Back